The Long Drive

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/The Long Drive

dw817(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hello. Yep, David here. I'm still working in Blitzmax, finding out quite a bit, and - still running into some problems.

My latest venture involves playing an .OGG that is 4-hours long or 87mb in size. Much to my dismay BlitzMAX will not do it with the standard "playsound" command.

PlaySound LoadSound("system\music\epic.ogg")
WaitKey
End

No, it returns with:
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Any ideas how I can get this to play AND do the following additionally ?

LOOP IT. Once it reaches the end of its 4-hour track, it will start over from the beginning.

KNOW ITS POSITION. Where I can send the position it is playing to a variable and if the program is exited, I can re-run it and the music will continue exactly where it left off.

This is for BlitzMAX, not BlitzBASIC, and please don't just tell me to use a library. I barely understand how to use MaxGui.drivers now but I didn't see an option in there for any audio.

BONUS, if it can play WMA (Windows Media Audio) as well, and loop, and recall and set its position.

If you do explain, please do so with a working EXAMPLE in BlitzMAX ! This will help everyone, thanks !

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#2]
BlitzMax doesn't support built-in audio streaming - so your audio is loaded, uncompressed into memory in order to play it.

There are third-party modules that support streaming.

dw817(Posted 2015) [#3]
Please, elaborate, Brucey ! Can you post an example using one of these libraries and the link of where to use them ?