Realtime Audio Programming

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Realtime Audio Programming

SidAntic(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

is it possibly to create an Chip-Music-Tracker with pure BlitzMax. I think 4 Channels of Sound, 2 Channels with Pulse Wave, 1 Channel with a Triangle Waveform and 1 Channel with a Square Waveform. In style of a 80s Game-Console.

Best Regards
Alex

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#2]
Sure :-)

BlitzMax is just a programming language. What you get it to do is completely up to you !

SidAntic(Posted 2015) [#3]
without a need to use a external C-Module !?!?!?!

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#4]
Technically speaking BlitzMax is already using C code for some of the stuff you do, so you just can't avoid it.
But for you, no, you shouldn't need to use any further external code. You can use banks or just allocate memory to store data, and the freeaudio modules will play whatever audio data you push into them.

SidAntic(Posted 2015) [#5]
I think, first I start to make a simple Sound-Effect Generator for my own Breakout Game I am working on.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2015) [#6]
Try this.

GW(Posted 2015) [#7]
It's very doable.
A while back I wrote a chiptune tracker in Bmax with a custom lo-fi synth engine backing it. It was about 80% done before I had to put it aside for other projects. It has a few functions written in C, but that was totally by choice. BMax can handle the job by itself.

I'm happy to answer any questions about how I did it.

Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot

SidAntic(Posted 2015) [#8]
very nice, I will post my coding progress very soon.