Win 10 sometimes?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Win 10 sometimes?

Robby(Posted 2015) [#1]
Anyone having trouble running a compiled .exe on win 10? I have had three scenarios. One guy could only run my game if he put it into compatibility mode for win 95/98???

On another, it didn't run at all.

On MY win 10 it works fine! Of course, that has been the case, like
forever with us programmers, hasn't it. :)

Any info appreciated. Thanks, - Robert

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#2]
I haven't tried Win 10 yet, but my first guess would be file permissions.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#3]
Haven't had any problems running blitzmax executables on Win10 myself.

One possible issue: if the program is trying to write files into its own directory, windows 10 could potentially block that from happening due to the various protections. If so, try running the exe from a location OTHER than c:\program files and see if that makes any difference.

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#4]
Running BMX fine here on Win 10 as well.

It might be a driver / UAC issue for instance.

A sample code to test might help to determine.

c h i e f y(Posted 2015) [#5]
I found that W10 will run a compiled 2D BB program (that was compiled in 2003) but the 2D BB editor will not run a program in W10 .... message comes up when you try to run it "ide.exe has stopped working" and that's it!

TomToad(Posted 2015) [#6]
Try SetGraphicsDriver D3D9Max2DDriver() or GLMax2DDriver(). I believe that DX7 has been depreciated and might not be present on a full Win 10 install (As oppose to upgrading from Win 7/8).

Alternatively, you could have them try installing DX 9.0c, which includes DX7.

kiami(Posted 2015) [#7]
I have no problem with free version of Windows 10.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#8]
if the program is trying to write files into its own directory

One might call that shoddy programming.

If you intend to share a program with others, you should be expected to respect user and application rights, and put stuff where it is meant to go.
Unless of course you are only supporting XP, then it doesn't really matter... :-p

Mithril(Posted 2015) [#9]
Compiled exe are working fine for me (anywhere where I have tested it.. you don't really say what the problem is either.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#10]
Maybe he's using SHGetFolderPathA()...

Dabhand(Posted 2015) [#11]
Vanilla and BlitzMaxNG work fine on my Win10 box!

Dabz

Yue(Posted 2015) [#12]
In what little I've tried BlitzMax in Windows 10, it works great.

TomToad(Posted 2015) [#13]
Let's not also forget that people have trouble running programs on XP/Vista/7/8 as well. Did these programs work ok, then suddenly stop after an upgrade? Or are these fresh installs on an already existing Win 10 system? If there was a recent upgrade, did they try uninstalling, then reinstalling the program?

Yue(Posted 2015) [#14]
What seems to be is that in Windows XP, the program is very permissive, when you migrate the program to a higher operating system, where the guidelines are different is where we see the nightmare.

In my case I have found for example is a possible config.ini file storage in Windows XP in "Files / Game program" without any problem, although this ficher make changes, this is usually not accepted by Windows 7 / 8/10 where the program reports errors.

I think it is more programming side and support it, in the end the programmer has to adapt to the target platform of your app.

Fielder(Posted 2015) [#15]
no issues on all Microsoft OSs... just something related to random errors (after 10-20 min of app standby) on old windows XP... and random errors on apps running 24/24 on window server (after 4-5 days)

_PJ_(Posted 2015) [#16]
One possible issue: if the program is trying to write files into its own directory, windows 10 could potentially block that from happening due to the various protections. If so, try running the exe from a location OTHER than c:\program files and see if that makes any difference.

This is why there are envvars for the %APPDATA% and %APPDATALOCAL% directories, or other SH special folders registered such as
UserProgramFiles or SavedGames etc.

Programs should NEVER be reading and writing to the ProgramFiles space without sandboxing except on update,installation/uninstallation

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#17]
Like what PJ said...