Objective-C bridge

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Objective-C bridge

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#1]
I mentioned in an earlier thread that one of the cool things about Objective-C is that its class system is actually completely dynamic: you can create new classes at runtime, change the class of an object after it is created, and even swap out the definition of a method for a different one in the middle of your program's execution. It's like BRL.Reflection on hyper-steroids.

The reason this is cool? It means you can bridge to Objective-C using only a regular C FFI! So even though BlitzMax was only designed for compatibility with C (and a little bit of C++), it's automatically compatible with Objective-C anyway.

Watch ("ObjC.bmx"):

Example:

Import "ObjC.bmx"
SuperStrict

Local NSString:ObjCClass = ObjCClass.ForName("NSString"), NSObject:ObjCClass = ObjCClass.ForName("NSObject")

Local u:Byte Ptr = "this is a string".ToCString(), v:Byte Ptr = "'%@', '%@'".ToCString()	'try creating an object and calling some methods
Local s:ObjCObject = NSString.msgRaw("stringWithUTF8String:", [u])
Local t:ObjCObject = NSString.msgRaw("stringWithUTF8String:", [v])
Local w:ObjCObject = NSString.msg("stringWithFormat:", [t, s, s])
Print w.ToString()

Local Foo:ObjCClass = ObjCClass.NewClass("Foo", NSObject, ["x", "y", "z"])	'define a whole new class
Foo.SetMethod("threeX", threeXImpl, "@:")
Function threeXImpl:ObjCObject(_self:Byte Ptr, _sel:Byte Ptr)	'use this as a method
	Local me:ObjCObject = ObjCObject.FromID(_self)
	Print "once: " + me.GetField("x").ToString()
	Print "twice: " + me.GetField("x").ToString()
	Print "thrice: " + me.GetField("x").ToString()
	Return Null
End Function

Local f:ObjCObject = Foo.NewObject()	'use our new class
f.SetField("x", s)
f.msg("threeX")

Print "done."
End

NB. this works out of the box on OSX because BlitzMax programs link against the Apple runtime. On Windows and Linux you'll need to import an Objective-C runtime and start it up manually. GNUstep is available for those platforms.

I haven't tested this thoroughly, so there might be errors. The core is sound though, because it's Objective-C's runtime doing all of the work! You can even swap out methods on classes used by BRL.mod (such as the graphics window) and see immediate results:

Import "ObjC.bmx"
SuperStrict

Local bbWin:ObjCClass = ObjCClass.ForName("BBGLWindow")
Local old:Byte Ptr = bbWin.SetMethod("windowShouldClose:", replacement, "@:@")	'replace a method on a BRL class

Global oldMethod:Int(o:Byte Ptr, s:Byte Ptr, _:Byte Ptr) ; oldMethod = old
Function replacement:Int(obj:Byte Ptr, selector:Byte Ptr, sender:Byte Ptr)
	Print "you pressed the close button!"
	Return oldMethod(obj, selector, sender)
End Function

Graphics(800, 600, 0)
While Not KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE)
	Delay 10
Wend
End

(click the window X with the mouse, and the message will be printed)

This isn't a particularly extensive interface and it has many limitations.

- Objects and classes, being proxy/wrapper objects Max-side, need to be compared with Compare; = and <> aren't guaranteed to work (one object could have multiple wrappers).
- Fields added to runtime-generated classes are only allowed to have type `id`.
- Methods need to have a type signature passed along with the implementation when being set (see here - they're not that bad though).
- Methods accept (and must return) raw Byte Ptrs to the Objective-C objects, not "wrapped" pointers to ObjCObject instances.
- Methods are invoked with msg (if you want to pass `id` arguments and return an `id`), msgRaw (if you want to pass Byte Ptr arguments, like e.g. C strings, and return an `id`), or msgRaw2 (same as before but also returns a non-wrapped Byte Ptr - used to e.g. retrieve a C string representation).
- Methods can't return floats.
- All objects are assumed to be subtypes of NSObject. You can use Retain/Release/Autorelease if you really want, although really there will be little need, especially for the first two, since the Max proxy object obviously already retains the Objective-C part.

I've only done the bare minimum for a workable system here, but it should be enough to set you on the way if you need more features. See here for the main Objective-C runtime API if you want to extend it.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#2]
That's extremely awesome!

Thanks! :-D