purpose of odd2dmodule?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/purpose of odd2dmodule?

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi all, so I was reading about oddball's odd2dmodule. Sounds like it wraps the BRL DX7/9 and OpenGL drivers and provides extra functionality.

I had a peek at the code and can see that it uses SetVirtualResolution and deals with various stretch/border stuff (which I already have in my own code), and it looks like there's an ability to draw a texture to a polygon, which is pretty cool.

What are people generally using it for? Oddball if you are reading this, do you have some kinda readme summary about what it's for? Just wondering if I should use it really.

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#2]
OK think I've found what I need :-) This has a Q&A about it:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90436

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#3]
Has anyone used it in a commercial game? And are there any known issues?

I like the sound of a centre origin and being able to zoom.

John G(Posted 2015) [#4]
For SteamTRAIN (NostWare.com) I totally depend on oddball's odd2dmodule. Wonderful. I use it mostly for "screen rotation". ST was originally Mac-only, PowerPC-only and OpenGL. I used glPushMatrix and glPopMatrix in OpenGL to rotate subsystems. OddBall's module replicates this capability for DX7, DX9 and OpenGL and it's simple to use. (I believe Mark built this capability into Monkey though I haven't tried Monkey).

If a Bmax2 or Bmax-ng is available in the future, I hope Bmax remains
compatible with OddBall's module or better yet the capabilities are built-in! Cheers.

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#5]
Sounds cool. Thanks for the info John G.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#6]
Has anyone used it in a commercial game? And are there any known issues?

I can testify that it works great in Windows and Linux. Coupled with Col's DX10/11 driver MOD you will have all of it covered. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#7]
OK thanks for the info!

John G(Posted 2015) [#8]
MacOS functions identical to Windows. Not tried Linux.