[SOLVED] Blitzmax Apps Running Jerky

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/[SOLVED] Blitzmax Apps Running Jerky

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#1]
[See bottom, Chrome has nothing to do with it, the answer was flip(1)]
Does anyone have any idea why the micro-hitches occur when Chrome is running with a fair number of tabs open? It took me the longest time to figure out what was going on but it has behaved this way over multiple PCs, haven't tested on a Mac though it might very well not occur there because of superior multitasking response under BSD.

This is not really a Blitzmax problem but my load average is around 1-2%. Is there any way to make this not happen? Would some sort of wait help?

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
which OS?

RAM fully occupied and swap disk used?

Maybe it has to do with some kind of garbage collection.

Also "micro hitches" could occour because of odd timing in your app (you know...delta timing, tweening etc.). Or do you rely on "timers" ?

So if "chrome" utilizes some more cpu ticks for some time, yours will get less, but the cpu "overall usage" will stay low.

bye
Ron

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#3]
One other possibility I happened to be reading about last night: Chrome and other software play with the timer resolution on Windows:

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#4]
something else to consider: Are you using a small delay (e.g. 'delay 1' or 'delay 2' in your program loop, so your blitzmax program will release some CPU time to the rest of the machine? If not, those other programs may force themselves some resources at less opportune times.

markcw(Posted 2014) [#5]
Chrome is a resource hog, even more than Firefox. Have you tried this?

Are you using Maxgui or wxMax or non-Gui app?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#6]
Non GUI app. 32 gigs of RAM, quad core I5. Windows 7.

I put in gccollect but it didn't seem to fix the issue. I will try a delay statement.

These hitches are intermittent, they might occur every 10 seconds or so.

RustyKristi(Posted 2014) [#7]
I agree with munch, as Chrome updates its version its getting more resource hog than before!

And not just blitzmax, but also blitz3d. I don't know if it this is related but earlier I was also running chrome and the blitz IDE was acting funny. (just the 2 running apps) I have to restart to get it back to normal

I'm deciding to switch back to firefox and just get that chrome theme and completely remove Chrome..

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#8]
How exactly was the IDE acting funny!? Were you having trouble selecting text?

RustyKristi(Posted 2014) [#9]
Hey, zoqfotpik. no, the problem was the help page was always there and not refreshing, even if you open or create a new file. You can't even see the editor text area.

It's back to normal now but it was weird

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#10]
Chrome got bad enough for me that I ended up creating this program just to measure its RAM-hogging prowess across all chrome.exe processes!

(One tab! Heading towards half a gigabyte... )

Along with its failure to render 'retro-style' chunky pixels without turning them into a blurry mess, and, later on, crashing the entire browser when one tab failed, when THE ENTIRE POINT OF CHROME at release was its multi-process tab setup (one tab crashes, browser keeps running)... I gave up.

Oh, and the tracking/charting/reporting to marketeers, NSA, etc...

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#11]
I think it may be happening because of Flash running in multiple tabs or something... adding delta timing helped a fair bit.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#12]
SOLVED, it was because I was doing flip() and not flip(1).

What threw me was how intermittent the issue was. Perhaps the game clock was slowly moving in and out of phase with my refresh.

Don't laugh, this has been bothering me for literally five years...