This may be the droid you're looking for...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/This may be the droid you're looking for...

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#1]
While perusing the SDL 2 source for their OpenGL ES implementation, I came across their Android integration layer, which involves extending the Activity class to handle events in an SDL-way, and such like.

In theory, it wouldn't be a giant leap to be able to provide something similar for BlitzMax, having all the compiled BlitzMax sitting in the Native layer as static libraries (or shared, as required), and talking with the java layer when necessary (through the appropriate wrappers).

NDK appears to provide the "usual" stuff through its standard libs - that being functionality that you can generally find everywhere (math, file, etc). So it may be a relatively simple case of tweaking the modules where required to support the platform.

Graphics (in the EGL/ES 2.0 sense), of course, is still something we are lacking, but I'm sure it will come in time.

Anyway... just a thought... ;-)

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
Always appreciate your thoughts.

Extending to other ARM-devices than raspi is surely a thing people would enjoy. Of course most of them (or "us", as it includes me :D) prefer "ready to use" things because knowledge is spread in an unfair way to people... some have it, some not (read "me").

bye
Ron