Realtime Sound Synthesis?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Realtime Sound Synthesis?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#1]
What's the state of realtime synthesis in Blitzmax? I can see that Taron was working on some and came up with a Theremin-like interface with the aid of DrPetter.

What I would really like is a realtime synthesizer that would take SFXR parameter lists as input.

Can't be that hard... can it?

You could have a command SynthSound() just like PlaySound that synthesizes and plays a Paramlist. You could also have it memoize the paramlist into a canned sound to make subsequent plays easier on the CPU.

Pineapple(Posted 2014) [#2]
Check the TAudioSample object. There's not much in the way of functionality, but it's at least a solid foundation.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#3]
Will do that. There is some code on here by Taron that works very nicely for realtime-- search the word theremin and it should bring up his post. It just has sine waves but maybe with some work it could get square waves.

Another more ambitious idea is emulating the C64 SID.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#4]
yep, it's fully possible. I've got a complete fairlight system running here all built with blitz, but I did have to heavily modify the source codes for audio though :)

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#5]
Explain fair light system. You emulated a Fairlight?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#6]
Explain fair light system. You emulated a Fairlight?

yep

http://www.visualjockey.com/wave2/

it's aproximately the power of 32 Series III's

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#7]
Given TAudiosample are there any other ideas you might have about realtime synthesis? Think Defender and Robotron, games of that vintage. If it could do realtime music at the same time that would be all the better.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#8]
Checkout the Codearchive and skidracers code for streamed audio.

Using streaming you can "live" add your sounds.

Does not work for me yet when using OGG-decoded data but for normal mono/stereo tones it works pretty well.

bye
Ron