3D reflective/refractive surfaces under Windows

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/3D reflective/refractive surfaces under Windows

2 Unlimited(Posted 2014) [#1]
Is there any 3D game engine which can give results like this?

KronosUK(Posted 2014) [#2]
Water reflections can be done in Blitz3d/Minib3d without any external libraries. There are examples on the forums.

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yes, there are engines which can give results like that.

2 Unlimited(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yes, there are engines which can give results like that.

Are they BlitzMax-compatible?

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#5]
It depends on the engine.

2 Unlimited(Posted 2014) [#6]
Probably my last words to this and that forum entries so here goes...

I decided to give up using third-party libraries and to stick vanilla BlitzMax and to be more creative. I think that using libraries kills creativity. I'll write my own modules and they'll have exactly what I want, unlike many libraries that has one feature I want but a chunk of features I hate or don't want to be on my hard disk. It may sound like reinventing the wheel but oh, I am interested not only in making games, but also in theory behind 3D graphics etc.

As you know, BlitzMax provides full OpenGL command set. This makes me feel lucky :D I am strongly considering to write my own 3D+2D game engine from scratch and if it gets grown enough, I'll begin sharing it. What features will it have? Now I can promise only two features which it shall definitely have:

1- GOOD DOCUMENTATION. Yes, you didn't read it wrong, folks, good documentation. You won't just have a blue "functions summary" but what you'll have is a book-like documentation which'll consist of chapters each of which'll start with lots of plain text preparing you to the rest of the chapter (functions) and helping you to easily spot/locate functions to use in your current game project.

2- Not disconnected from technological advances. You won't see flat ugly-tiled grass floors any more.

CU!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#7]
Go for it. If you can get shaders working in your engine you'll be able to do this kind of reflection easily.

2 Unlimited(Posted 2014) [#8]
Negative.
Water reflections can be done without using shaders on PC.

Don't only think "water". For example, mercury in your thermometers and an ice cube have 3D reflective/refractive surfaces too.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#9]
I think that using libraries kills creativity.

What really kills creativity, using vetted, working libraries that someone else has written and debugged, or having to write numerous support libraries before you can even start on your game? Personally, for me it's the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I love graphics code. Got anything to show? It's been 8 weeks. You could have done it with a shader in 10 minutes.

I'm also the worst offender at this, I start out to write something simple and I end up with a complex piece of useless but interesting esoterica that has no relation at all to the original project.

2 Unlimited(Posted 2014) [#10]
Can you please give some code samples for OpenGL shader usage in BlitzMax?

2 Unlimited(Posted 2014) [#11]
Answer? No? Why in the world do you talk about things you practically don't apply, huh?

I am strongly considering to write my own 3D+2D game engine from scratch and if it gets grown enough, I'll begin sharing it.

Abandoned. Forget it. Don't wait.