DLL loads slowly first time on Win 8

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/DLL loads slowly first time on Win 8

LT(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have a BlitzMax module that makes use of the AssImp.dll to load various model formats. Under Win XP, it works perfectly, but under Win 8.1, it loads slowly the first time.

Does anyone know why and/or how to resolve this?

Edit: I've tried registering the DLL, but Windows won't let me - gives me the "DllRegisterServer entry point was not found" error.

Banshee(Posted 2014) [#2]
I'm sorry to say I can't answer your question, but I am interested to know what 3D engine/module you are using that interfaces with Assimp? I considered writing a Xors3D wrapper for it myself before I got distracted by other engines without the media loading issues of Xors.

LT(Posted 2014) [#3]
It's my own engine. I plan to release a commercial version, but Lua only.

I don't know if the problem is the AssImp DLL or all DLLs. I'm also wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue (?).

dynaman(Posted 2014) [#4]
If you have a virus checker running try turning it off and see how it works.

If the DLL is .net (I assume not since it is being used with max but that error you get occurs when trying to register .net dlls) make sure it is pre-compiled if possible.

When you create the final exe try reg free com.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10858349/exact-steps-for-registration-free-com-interop

Hopefully that is some help.

LT(Posted 2014) [#5]
You may be right about the virus checker. Have not confirmed yet, but thanks for the tip!

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#6]
You could also try to disable the UAC:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

It might cause issues.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#7]
Some of the virus scanners have an ability to "phone home" and report a checksum value of unknown executables -- definitely possible that that's what causes the delay.

LT(Posted 2014) [#8]
Well, it's not the UAC since I've had that disabled for a while. It was interfering with drag-and-drop.

I'm thinking it is the virus checker, but I'm having trouble getting the issue to duplicate consistently. It only happens the first time I run it, but not every time. Not a big deal, I guess, but annoying.

Thanks for your suggestions!

dynaman(Posted 2014) [#9]
The virus checker should have an option to "ignore" that file, see if you can turn that on and try it. With it only happening one time it might be hard to test.