MinGW..... again. :/

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MinGW..... again. :/

GfK(Posted 2014) [#1]
Was just about to do a spot of programming on my laptop, then I noticed I don't have MinGW installed and I need to build modules. :s

I was using MinGW from nuwen.net, Distro 8. It isn't available any more and I noticed that the more recent ones are x64 only. Does that relate to the OS I want to install MinGW on, or the EXEs I want to produce?

So... where the hell do I get MinGW from now??

Henri(Posted 2014) [#2]
There are only 2 options. Either Nuwen or TDM found here (legacy versions at the bottom)

For reference, Brucey uses TDM 4.73 (give or take 0.01) to build his modules.

-Henri

GfK(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks, but I don't understand which version I'm meant to download - do I need 32-bit or 64-bit version? My OS is 64-bit, Blitzmax is 32 - which does it refer to?

Henri(Posted 2014) [#4]
You need 32-bit version. Older versions come in two flavors; Silj & Dwarf, which refers to exception handling. This is a bit of guesswork with all to modules out there, but Brucey uses Silj-version (Nuwen uses Dwarf-version).

-Henri

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#5]
You want the 32-bit version, as you are building 32-bit apps.

AFAIK, BlitzMax on Windows doesn't use the -m32 flag, so if you were to try to build using the 64-bit MinGW it would probably fail - attempting to build, by default, 64-bit binaries.

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#6]
Evidence that it builds 32-bit applications is the fact that most of the files in the "BlitzMax\lib\" directory have "32" as a suffix.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks... it's sort of working. However, yet again, MaxMod2 now doesn't work. It bombs with "MEMORY_ACCESS_VIOLATION" (in debug mode) at this line:

Function Create:TMaxModDriver( name$ )
		If Active Return Active
		Local t:TMaxModRtAudioDriver = New TMaxModRtAudioDriver
		t._driver=CreateAudioDriver_RtAudio()   'ERROR ON THIS LINE
		t._name=name
		Active = t
		Return t
	End Function

*sigh*

OK, seriously, does anybody fancy taking on MaxMod2 and bringing it up to date so I don't have this ridiculous bloody pantomime every time I need to reinstall MinGW? I have money.

Henri(Posted 2014) [#8]
In the meantime you could try 4.6-series

-Henri

GfK(Posted 2014) [#9]
OK, maybe I'm being dumb here, but I don't see an installer for anything other than 4.8 (which MaxMod2 doesn't like)? The 4.7 folder (and all the other versions) just contain a bunch of files that I have no clue what I'm meant to do with.

The "readme" for each recommends using the installer. Er... what installer?!

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#10]
Have you tried using the version supplied by Ziggy in the sticky thread?
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90964

It's the first one I always try. I can build MaxGUI and MiniB3D with it reliably, and perhaps MaxMod2 is from this same school of module.

EDIT: Also, I believe that the modern MinGW versions require that you replace the files in the "BlitzMax\lib" with the ones of the same name from the "MinGW\lib\" and "MinGW\lib\gcc\x.x.x\" folders of your MinGW installation.
So it's not just setting up the environment variables.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#11]
Yeah, I tried that. MaxMod 2 doesn't like that either.

I've just found the Nuwen.net Distro 8 on my external HD, and everything now works. Must have put it there after the last time I had to bugger about for three hours trying to get stuff to work. Then forgot I'd done it, which was handy, as I've just wasted another three hours trying to find a version that works.

Ho hum...

Just to reiterate though, I'm eager for somebody to give MaxMod 2 the swift kick up the arse it desperately needs.

Henri(Posted 2014) [#12]
OK, maybe I'm being dumb here, but I don't see an installer for anything other than 4.8

Legacy installers can be found here.

I've just found the Nuwen.net Distro 8 on my external HD, and everything now works.

Always keep a backup :-)

Just to reiterate though, I'm eager for somebody to give MaxMod 2 the swift kick up the arse it desperately needs.

Yes, it's funny how it works with 4.6 version ,but not with 4.7 . What up with that ? Well, maybe one day...

-Henri

Derron(Posted 2014) [#13]
Just ask Brucey in a kindly way... he has mingw 4.7 and "rtaudio with wav" running ... maybe he is able to free some hours of the next month for a deeper look at it (i know, only requesting but never giving back (concerning his modules) is the only thing we do :D)

For now my main project gets compiled with MinGW 4.6 in the background while the wxWidgets-codes get compiled in another virtual appliance.
For linux you do not have to care about it...hey it "just works" :D.

Another good hint: place "compile instructions.txt" or "compilation guide.txt" in your sources folders. Mention what versions you exactly used and where you store them/how to download them.

bye
Ron

JaviCervera(Posted 2014) [#14]
I hate the installer of the latest MinGW versions, but I could find an installer for MinGW from 2012 that works great with BlitzMax, in case anybody wants to install that, I have uploaded it to my Box account:

https://app.box.com/s/la6utf7nzcl98ycxhriq

Derron(Posted 2014) [#15]
Why another download option? Doesn't the 4.6 mingw installer from TDM not [edit]work[/edit] nice enough?

Worked for me like a charm.
Installers are better than "zips" for beginners as they take care of modifying the %path% - which is needed on windows.

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2014) [#16]
Many versions of MinGW work with Blitzmax. It's the obsolete MaxMod2 module for streaming audio that they don't seem to like.

JaviCervera(Posted 2014) [#17]
Why another download option? Doesn't the 4.6 mingw installer from TDM not nice enough?

I don't know, actually. I haven't tried the TDM version. I have always used that other one and has worked fine for me.

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#18]
I use the 4.8.1 nuwen installer (mingw-10.4.exe). Worked for me like a charm. But after I "upgraded" to Win8.1 and wanted to use Brucey's latest native bmx fixes, the issues started for me.

Coudn't find a distro and install instructions / script that would work for my PC. So I will stick to the current version until bmx made its last breath.

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#19]
What issues?