New BLIde update available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New BLIde update available

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#1]
It's just a minor update that fixes several small bugs.

That's the changelog:

BLIde version 14.02.0101 SP1

* Fixed a bug that was making BLIde not recognize the undocumented EndWhile keyword as a valid keyword.

* Updated all the text rendering engine to QWhale version 2.2 so it is a bit faster in the syntax text rendering.

* Fixed a bug with code completion hint that could make BLIde crash.

* Fixed a bug processing keys for non-Unicode symbols.

* Fixed a bug with code completion for indexed properties in the BLIde SDK .

Hope you enjoy it!

GfK(Posted 2014) [#2]
Thanks!

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#3]
Good News..

Still waiting for the option of back and forth on the code browsing like you have in Jungle.
Hope you conceder adding that.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#4]
"Just" make everything language-specific modular and jungle and blide could share a big portion of the same code.
Most of the work is surely the "understanding" of the source code but many things are normal "editor" functions which both language-IDEs could share.

But IDE itself: as long as it deeply relies on .NET (and not .MONO) it wont be available for Mac/Linux ... what a pitty (am on Linux and do not like to run it in a virtual machine).

bye
Ron

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#5]
Please also fix the issue when pressing Ctrl+F for example for finding Text
when the window is allready open it doesnt get updated with the new Marked Text.

Therefor a user must close and reopen the window each time.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#6]
"Just" make everything language-specific modular and jungle and blide could share a big portion of the same code.
I wish it was that easy! that was my first attempt at writing Jungle. when I was designing how I wanted Jungle Ide to work, I came to the conclusion that I wanted the IDE to be internally handled with something similar to "actors" so it could perform a very fast on modern multi-core computers. that's a sort of paradigm change from BLIde so it has been basically a rewrite of parts of the underlaying framework, and in the end, a lot of new things made from scratch.
While BLIde is very solid at handling big BlitzMax project, Jungle Ide is now able to handle absurdly big projects (in comparison) and it does not even require a "loading" screen, etc... All this came after lots of test, profiling, and new design decisions.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#7]
And now? Now you cannot re-use the "improved" new base from Jungle in Blide?

Sure it would be possible but somehow I think that the "benefit" is less than the amount of time you would have to put into the one-time-rewrite of the BlitzMax-portion.

But this is a thing you could decide on your own the best.

bye
Ron

Chalky(Posted 2014) [#8]
@ziggy, many thanks for the update. Have you deliberately changed folding behaviour in this version? For/Next loops now stop folding before Next instead of after, and Type/EndType are no longer foldable (no folding handles). Whilst the Next thing isn't a major concern, not being able to fold Type definitions is a real disadvantage (for me - at any rate) - particularly for those containing Method and/or Function definitions.

Chalky(Posted 2014) [#9]
Hmmm...

The problem is somehow linked to the "End" keyword, as when I commented out an End within an If/Endif near the top of my code, the problem partly resolved. I have tried to represent folding handles in the example below (there is a folding handle next to SetGraphicsDriver in the Before version, which disappears once "End" is commented out in the After version):

Before:
- If GetLastError()= ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS
L	End
   EndIf

- SetGraphicsDriver D3D7Max2DDriver()
|

After:
- If GetLastError()=ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS
|	'End
L  EndIf

SetGraphicsDriver D3D7Max2DDriver()

However, For/Next loops still only fold until before the Next.

I thought this was confined to existing solutions, but creating a new one with the following has the same problem:
- If HELLO Then
L	End
   EndIf

- 

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#10]
many thanks for the update. Have you deliberately changed folding behaviour in this version?
No, it should work... I'm taking a look to see whatever can be causing this... Type / End Type workd for me. Anyone else? For blocks seems to have some issues with the latest lexing update. I'm working on a fix.

Chalky(Posted 2014) [#11]
Sorry ziggy - was editing my post when you replied. Hopefully my update will help...

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#12]
@Chalky: Yes, it's very helpful. I hope I'm working on the fix

Calibrator(Posted 2014) [#13]
> Have you deliberately changed folding behaviour in this version? For/Next loops now stop folding before Next instead of after

Where this would work well would be REPEAT/UNTIL loops - but I have no folding with this combo at all...

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#14]
Where this would work well would be REPEAT/UNTIL loops - but I have no folding with this combo at all..
Yes, it would be nice to have them, but as Until is also a keyword into For loops, it's hard to decide what a Until keyword really is unless context is analyzed first. I may add this in the future, as it would be something nice to have.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#15]
I'm just posting to let everybody know that a new update with some small folding fixes is *almost* ready. The required fixes are a bit more complicated than it seemed, but I'm almost there...

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#16]
Blide has annoying error when using its file explorer.
Many times it crashes when you change a folder name!
and then sometimes you get this stupid red cross all over blide Editor
and then you cant access the editor and all your progress is lost!

(some stupid memory acception error)

Lucky im doing constant backups..!

[20 mins later!]

I just noticed that retriving externaly that last folder name change will allow the editor to load properly!
well at least that i figured.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#17]
Blide has annoying error when using its file explorer.
Many times it crashes when you change a folder name!
Do you have a consistent way to replicate this? I'll love to fix it but can't make it happen. (so I gess I'm doping it differently)
and then sometimes you get this stupid red cross all over blide Editor
and then you cant access the editor and all your progress is lost!
This should ont happen and I'm investigating whatever can cause it but, it this happens anytime again to you, take into account this red cross just means that the rendering of text on screen has failed BUT the text is there. So saving your solution and restarting BLIde should prevent you from loosing anything.

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#18]
lately it crushes many times even when im not making changes on the explorer
maybe i got a virus that interact with your blide i dont know.

when i see red cross i dont lose info but i cant access and continue project.
thats the main concern

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#19]
another issue that makes my blide crash is when im trying to change the main font of the ide then it crashes as well.
i just formated my computer so it cant be comming from my own computer.

im using win 7 32 bit

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#20]
how come im the only one with problems with blide??

it crashes!!

System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderProjectOptions.Read11_ProjectOptions()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader textReader)
at BLIde.UProject.LoadXML(USolution Sol, UnmanagedProject Project) in C:\Users\Manel\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\BLIde engine\BLIde QW\BLIde .net 2.0\Unmanaged Project 2\UProject.vb:line 186
at BLIde.USolution.LoadXML(String filename) in C:\Users\Manel\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\BLIde engine\BLIde QW\BLIde .net 2.0\Unmanaged Project 2\USolution.vb:line

'IVE COME TO CONCLUSION THAT BLIDE IS LIMITED WITH AMOUNT OF FILE UNDER ITS EXPLORER!!
SO I HAVE LIKE 400 FILES OR SO AND THEN PROBLEMS BECOME OFTEN!
SYSTEM OUT OF MEMORY AND SO ON CRASHES... RED CROSS... etc

[20 mins later]..

ok after wiping half of my files that arnt necessary for the project (like examples...)
it works smoother and faster therefor justifying my suspicion that the project size was the issue.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#21]
By the crash report, it looks like your solution XML file got corrupted, and this was causing the exception. Definitively making the whole project smaller can help preventing BLIde going out of memory, but 400 files should be a non issue.

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#22]
Ye i guess i had much more then 400 after all.
shame i didnt know about that limit
it could have saved me alot of truble.

anyway now that i know ill pay attent ion.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#23]
Hello, a new update has been released.

This is the changelog:

BLIde version 14.03.0801 SP1

* Fixed a bug that was making BLIde not properly fold For / NExt block

* Fixed a bug that was making the End keyword confusing the AST generation on parsed documents

* Fixed a bug that was making the Framework Inspector to not show properly on some computers

* Fixed a small stability issue that could make BLIde crash when a file was renamed from outside BLIde and the file was being edited

It's a stability update, so updating is highly recommended.

Chalky(Posted 2014) [#24]
Fantastic - thank you ziggy!

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#25]
Stuff I really miss in Blide.

AutoIndent..
Back and Forward history..

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#26]
Another Annoying thing in Blide!

When you make more then one project you are forced to make an entry file for each project. while if you want only to compile one file and ignore other projects compiling its is impossible!

WTH! why?! why do i need to create a Dummy.bmx (empty file), waist more seconds instead of letting me compile one file In my main project?
Instead.. I have to see the other empty dummy's get virtually compiled for nothing..

Why do I have to compile the whole projects? whos asked for that?
At least if there was an option to disable other project compilation
I would understood this...

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#27]
When you make more then one project you are forced to make an entry file for each project. while if you want only to compile one file and ignore other projects compiling its is impossible!
F6 to compile only current project instead of all projects.
Why do I have to compile the whole projects? whos asked for that?
At least if there was an option to disable other project compilation
I would understood this...

Also you can set any project to ByPass compilation if you don't want it to be built, so you can choose what you want to be compiled, in which order, and you can compile projects one by one, all, only some, etc. There's plenty of optioms for this.

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#28]
Ziggy. I was certain there was, but i couldnt find it..
I will look again..
Shame that on the panel near the X cancel project
There aint a checkbox for bypass compile.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#29]
A new BLIde update has been released. It's a small update with some fixes and a new utility that will help letting BLIde on factory status if you need to make a fresh BLIde installation at some point.

Here's the small changelog:
BLIde version 14.09.2401 SP1

* Fixed a bug that was making BLIde crash while typing some identifiers, if the AST engine had empty descriptions for some functions

* Fixed a bug that was making the ctrl+F (find) command to not reset the text to find if the window was already shown

* Improved slightly support for higher DPI scaling

* Added a new small tool that allows you to leave BLIde in factory status, removing all settings, etc.

Hope you find it useful

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#30]
Hi Ziggy, sounds great but there's a problem with the installer: it's actually installing an old version from 2013!

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#31]
@Grey Alien: Please, download it again. It should be ok now.
You can do so from the customer's section of the BLIde website. here: http://www.blide.org/?page_id=290

Tiger(Posted 2014) [#32]
Is it a virus in the update?
Avast tells me that its a virus there.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#33]
Avast thinks everything is a virus.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#34]
Avast does not like one of the dlls but it's a false positive. I think it is the media preview dll or something. Please submit it to the avast services so they can check it is NOT a virus!

Hardcoal(Posted 2016) [#35]
I Just spended hours on another yet annoying silly thing..
I installed blide on my new laptop under win 8.1

and when I run compile , it just doesnt compile..
It keeps running the same already compiled exe version..
no matter what ive done it kept doing so..
then i decided to change its name and walla, it worked..

another annoying thing ive encountered is that the latest blide version..
when you put mouse over the file tabs.. is doesnt show anymore the location
of this file on the hard disk

this was very important to me..

why they take it off?..

cheers

kiami(Posted 2016) [#36]
ziggy,

Is it possible to increase the size of console, the output?

Taron(Posted 2016) [#37]
Oh, ziggy, how nice to realize again, that it's you doing BLide! 8D
I've got a bunch of annoying troubles with it, which you may be able to look into, or which are some odd issue on my side instead?!

Occasional cursor vanishing. Sometimes, but frequently, the cursor vanishes. Faith typing gives a clue as to where it is and then some returns and clicking around eventually reveals it again. Very strange.

[alt][mouse drag] selection:
- typing on multiple lines at once. This works for the first letter only. Then the cursor simply goes to the first line and your selection is lost. Drives me bonkers!

- if the clipboard contains only one line, it would be nice to be able to multi row paste down such a selection.

And now for the weirdest annoyance:
Nowhere in the color settings I can find a way to prevent the whole screen from flashing, when I cross over the (don't know what it's called) collapse/expand lines next to the gutter. It's a shock almost every time!

This alone made me already look for alternatives and cutting my losses, but I do like what you've done in general and am grateful. Beware the day I find out how to setup sublime properly, haha, or even visual studio, which is a benchmark for sure. But none of those things have your native elegance with BlitzMax, naturally.

However, if those few things would be solved. Almost all worries would be gone. Only a BlitzMax NG x64 compile ability would then be between greatness and perfection!