BlitzMax150 up!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax150 up!

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

BlitzMax150 is now up!

This minor update includes a fix for a parsing bug that could cause bcc to crash with strings that weren't 'close quoted', and a few tweaks to maxgui so it can compile on macos 10.9.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
For others: the parser bug was described here:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101897
or for blitzbasic.com-logged-in-users :-) :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101897

It should not have to care about "strings" but quotes in comments.

@Mark
Could you elaborate a bit why this crash only happened using WindowsXP and not his ancestors?

bye
Ron

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks, good to see that BlitzMax is still receiving some attention.

Midimaster(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thank you Mark for updating BlitzMax and MaxGui too. I need this for updating my commercial projects. I'm very happy to see, that you continue with updates on BlitzMax. A lot of project all around the world depend on BlitzMax source and cannot easlily be converted to other languages. Also a big thank to Brucey and Simon, who are so hard workers....

GfK(Posted 2014) [#5]
IN YOUR FACE, NAY-SAYERS!

</Homer Simpson>

degac(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thank you!

@Gfk:LOL!!!!

Derron(Posted 2014) [#7]
IN YOUR FACE, NAY-SAYERS!

That is why it needed a mail to the support to get the attention redirected to the discussion in the forum.

Time will show if it was just a small and enforced life sign or if Mark decided that it is worth to have an eye on the blitzmax-board for some minutes a week. I hope for the ladder one.

bye
Ron

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#8]
Keep up the good work mark!

Midimaster(Posted 2014) [#9]
Since Monkey is no replacement for BlitzMax Mark needs to continue updating it. I hope Mark has a look on the coders who earn money with apps and not only on this fancy followers who code only for fun...

Monkey is nice for Android and IPhone, but still not powerful enough to build Windows or Mac apps. Mark, if future development of BlitzMax is a question of monkey, let us know!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2014) [#10]
Sounds good. How about some fool-proof installation instructions that actually work without headaches for this version?

Derron(Posted 2014) [#11]
I hope Mark has a look on the coders who earn monkey with apps and not only on this fancy followers who code only for fun...

monkey monkey monkey :D

But seriously: do you think people earning money with their apps are better than people coding for fun/for free?
Surely you mean: they depend on a working BlitzMax (like all others do too).

@ImaginaryHuman
Meanwhile you could use your topic about installation problems if new occour. Maybe you could also sum up your problems and mail it to the support. The man behind the support will redirect your mail to Mark if needed.

Ok, back to my free/fun code.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#12]
Fancy followers?

I need to quit my job and start charging for everything ;-)

therevills(Posted 2014) [#13]
Thanks for the update Mark !

Any chance you can fix this one soon:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=100392

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#14]
Any chance you can fix this one soon

And some of the Linux issues?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2014) [#15]
@Derron, shouldn't have to. It's simple customer service to provide proper instructions for an error-free installation.

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#16]
it should get attention its still a product

thanks mark

Midimaster(Posted 2014) [#17]
@Derron.. Upps..thank you for pointing to my nice typo...

Commercial users are not "better people"... Of course I thought about users depending on a working BlitzMax.

I didn't want to sound harsh or offend somebody. Sorry if somebody felt like this... I only want to point to the fact that BlitzMax still is the only meaningful Blitz Research product, when we talk about Windows and Mac target.

I would acclaim if Mark makes a statement about the future of BlitzMax, lets say about the next 5 years.

Excuse my bad english...

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#18]
Midimaster wrote:
Since Monkey is no replacement for BlitzMax Mark needs to continue updating it. I hope Mark has a look on the coders who earn money with apps and not only on this fancy followers who code only for fun...

Monkey is nice for Android and IPhone, but still not powerful enough to build Windows or Mac apps. Mark, if future development of BlitzMax is a question of monkey, let us know!
Have you used monkey x lately? Six months ago I might have agreed with you, but now I have literally replaced BlitzMax with monkey x for desktop development. Not only that, but I've also ported Hack, Slash, Loot to monkey x without any problems at all. I'd say monkey x is more than a match for BlitzMax these days. I had fun with BlitzMax but it's time to move on if you're doing this as a living. And yes I do make money from coding so my opinion is valid.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#19]
@Monkey vs BlitzMax
Is there a LUA-module now (need it)? How easy is the creation of custom assets during runtime (pixmap manipulation) - I just read that Monkey has no pointer support?
I am quite sure that Monkey-x get's better month after month but I still think it does not allow headache-less conversion of my bigger projects now.

That additional libs (bruceys) are missing is also a big show-stopper (but of course this is not directly the fault of Mark).

@Midimaster
apology accepted :D. Especially as our Mother tongue is the same.

bye
Ron

Henri(Posted 2014) [#20]
Hello there,

can I quote Simon about Monkey vs. Blitzmax ?

Monkey is not BlitzMax.

BlitzMax has a superior build system and can be extended with native modules.

Monkey has a baked in target system and it's module system is only useful for monkey code and very light layers of native glue.

For building desktop apps you cannot seriously compare the two.

The best thing for BlitzMax users is if OS X 10.9 went 64 bit only forcing BRL to rethink it's position.

-Henri

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#21]
so eventually i was right? saying a year ago that monkey will replace blitzmax.
right?

col(Posted 2014) [#22]

so eventually i was right? saying a year ago that monkey will replace blitzmax.

From what I remember,, that has always been the case since Mark mentioned he was working on another language years ago. Just at the time people thought it would be called Blitz*something*, as it turns out - it was named Monkey.

Addi(Posted 2014) [#23]
That is the typical way to say "I do not want to have something to do with that anymore" thought since he changed the name completely ;(.

Nether than less: Thanks for the little update.

Long live blitz <3 (4 ever blitzer).

Mr. Goober(Posted 2014) [#24]
I love BlitzMax. Hands down. I only just started to use the language seriously, so I think I will make the most of my license before I move onto Monkey. I would love to port a game to OUYA though, and hopefully get a game of mine greenlit on Steam.

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#25]
Thanks for the update.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2014) [#26]
I have 10.9 mavericks and have never had any problems compiling MaxGUI with the previous update.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#27]
Nice to get reminded: hey we wanted to keep an eye on marks activity here on the blitzmax-forums :D. Seems I could have saved an eye for daily living that month.

bye
Ron

Panno(Posted 2014) [#28]
Thanks Mr.Sibly

Calibrator(Posted 2014) [#29]
Indeed - thanks for the support! There are still people working/developing with BMax, too. ;-)

FBEpyon(Posted 2014) [#30]
Mark,

Thanks for the update..

I was wanting to know what version you stop with OpenGL..?

Thanks,

FBEpyon

*(Posted 2014) [#31]
Works better on Linux :)

coded a conversion utility for a monkey project already :)

Ian Martin(Posted 2014) [#32]
I'm going to be Monkey-Xing around soon too...but BlitzMAX is definitely better for my current project so I really appreciate the update!

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#33]
I know, old thread, but just wanted to say thanks for keeping it updated Mark! I still use BMax to make commercial games for the portals and Steam and so it's good that it's still receiving updates especially for Mac's ever-changing OSX.

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#34]
Wow. 1 year after the last official update.

kiami(Posted 2015) [#35]
It seems an easy to use programming language for desktop still make sense. Languages are getting too complex, which is not good for application programming. Long live BlitzMax! I do not use BlitzMax for game, I use it for research and sometimes for hobby.