How Much to Turn?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How Much to Turn?

BLaBZ(Posted 2014) [#1]
I'm using minib3d and have run into this problem before.

I need to know how many degree to turn(Yaw) an entity to point at another entity.

I can use TFormNormal to get the normal vector location in local space so I know whether the object to point to is it to the left or right.

I can use DeltaYaw to determine the exact yaw my source mesh should have in order to face the destination entity.

DeltaYaw will always return -180 to 180, which makes it difficult to determine how much to turn in degrees the shortest direction.

Any assistance much appreciated!

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
If you do not know how to do this with included functions you could do it the "learn math"-way:

if you have two vectors (two objects and their view) you can split each vector up into the its axis and do the 2d-vector calculations. Sure there are multiple ways to achieve it but just try to split it into problems you already learned to solve in school.

@DeltaYaw:
if the value is -180 to 180 a -30 is shorter than +40. In that case you just should check for negative ("left") or positive ("right") (there is no "left right" in a north-aligned space ... on a map you cannot say "France is left of Germany").
To see how many degrees you have to turn at all: abs(DeltaYaw(...)).

Somehow I think I did not understood what your problem is exactly (concerning the mentioned functions).

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2014) [#3]
Unless deltayaw is properly broken, that should be doing precisely what you need.

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#4]
I have successfully aimed one entity at another before, using VectorPitch() and VectorYaw().
They return the components of an absolute rotation, so you need to use RotateEntity rather than TurnEntity:
'Source:TEntity
'Target:TEntity

'Vector going from the 'source' entity to the 'target' entity.

Local targetVec:Float[] = [ EntityX( Target, True ) - EntityX( Source, True ), EntityY( Target, True ) - EntityY( Source, True ), EntityZ( Target, True ) - EntityZ( Source, True ) ]

Local pitch:Float	= VectorPitch( targetVec[0], targetVec[1], targetVec[2] )
Local yaw:Float		= VectorYaw( targetVec[0], targetVec[1], targetVec[2] )

RotateEntity( Source, pitch, yaw, 0, True )
Instead of rotating the entity like above, you can subtract the global EntityPitch() and EntityYaw() values of the source entity from the 'pitch' and 'yaw' results to find the difference.