Rapid Development?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Rapid Development?

BLaBZ(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all,

Now that my project has gained some size I'm spending a lot of time waiting for it to compile and then load resources until i can finally test new logic.

Is there a way to remove this process? Am I dreaming?

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#2]
Enable quick builds? There should be a compiler option somewhere so that any module that didn't change, doesn't get recompiled.

You can take advantage of this within a single project by making sure your own code is split into Imports rather than Includes: Include pastes code into a single block of text to send to the compiler, while Import provides a translation-unit barrier that means its code only needs to be compiled once, and the same machine code will be reused next time. Similarly if you have very large files that you need to modify, factor them apart and Import the pieces.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#3]
I think this is more important:

create a subfolder "tests" - in there you create new testNewGUISelectList.bmx or what you are testing.

Within that file you just import what you needed:
- only include/import sources you need
- load the res(s)ources you need (saves startup time)
- create a simple appclass with (delta)timer and your loop

Now you can compile within <1sec, load within way lower time than with your project (mine has a startup time from 0.2 seconds compared to the projects 5 seconds) ... and the most important thing: you do not have to click around until you get to the "screen" or "situation" you want to get to.

After you finished your work on that part - copy it over to your project and connect the connectors (event listeners, function callers, ...).

bye
Ron