Behavior Tree / AI

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Behavior Tree / AI

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#1]
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

A couple of years ago, the AI (using a FSM) of a game I was developing became so large and unwieldy that I ultimately gave up on it.

Recently I started trying different approaches and during some research found this article about AI in Halo 2 which took me in a totally different direction. Further research gave me some information on Behavior trees but nothing much to build upon so I started from scratch. My design goals were simple: It had to fit into existing code, not be reliant on other libraries and be reusable.

My Behavior Tree is implemented as a linked tree of Nodes called Controls and Traits. Controls decide on which child should be executed and Traits are the Leaf nodes that implement a Behavior or Action for your sprite or character.

Take the following code; it shows a simple AI that moves a sprite to a screen location and when it arrives, chooses a new destination:

Example1-Simple

Whilst this example is very simple (and probably easier to implement with a FSM), you have to remember that the tree can be easily expanded to thousands of decisions without having to manually maintain a state.

The Behavior tree in the example is created by using a standard "Selector" Control as a root node and two custom Traits as children of that node (Movement and ChooseDestination).

I have currently implemented the following standard Control nodes:
* Selector - Executes each child until one is successful and only fails if all children fail.
* Randomiser - Executes a single random child node.
* Sequence - Executes each child until one fails. Succeeds if all children succeed.

It also supports bitvector based node execution, which means that large portions of the Behaviour Tree can be enabled / disabled based on a single system game state.

My Code is in BETA at the moment and I hope to have it up on SourceForge shortly.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Si...

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#2]
V1.00 Released on SourceForge

Whats new!
* Three new Controls: Singular, RoundRobin and RequireNone
* Three new Traits: Enabler, Disabler and Decision
* TreeBuilder that allows Behavior trees to be created from a definition file (No more code changes when tweeking your AI).
* Added Enable/Disable ability to all traits & controls
* Started a Wiki
* Can be used standalone or compiled as a module.

Controls
* Selector - Executes each child until one is successful and only fails if all children fail.
* Randomiser - Executes a single random child node.
* Sequence - Executes each child until one fails. Succeeds if all children succeed.
* Singular NEW
* RoundRobin NEW Selects the next child in order
* RequireNone NEW Parses all children and returns success when all children fail, or fail when any one succeeds.

Traits:
* Enabler NEW - Enables a list of nodes
* Disabler NEW - Disables a list of nodes
* Decision NEW - Allows a decision point to be included

Examples
* Example1-Simple.bmx
* Example2-TreeBuilder.bmx NEW