Variable bit-rate OGG format audio

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Variable bit-rate OGG format audio

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello

My new game has a hell of a lot of audio in it (voice-overs). To keep filesize down I'm using Variable Bit Rate OGG format. There is no real difference in quality between that and any other audio format (although, if this were music, you might notice).

The upshot is that all of my game audio will be about a quarter of the size, were I to use Constant Bit-Rate OGG format instead.

Am I likely to encounter any problems with PC/Mac in doing this? Because it seems too good to be true at the moment.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#2]
It depends on what will be decoding the audio files - this is the module or library that you will be using.

Be the files in WAV, MP3, OGG etc. formats, the hardware always plays the "uncompressed audio data" that the audio library sends to it that has no acquaintace to these formats.

If the decoding library you're using is able to decode VBR OGG files, it should play on about anywhere that has audio capabilities.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
That's pretty much what I thought. Think I'll run with VBR...

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#4]
I would use vbr. Though it should eat up a little more cpu power for decoding.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#5]
Sounds like a good idea.

My latest game too has a lot of VO which takes up over 40MB! And that's downsizing the quality...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2013) [#6]
I think Kryzon is spot on.. as far as hardware is concerned all it wants is raw sample data to output, doesn't matter what high-level format or sound generator was used. So long as blitz or whatever is able to decode and convert the samples for output and can talk to the sound driver you should be good.