Multi-Platform.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Multi-Platform.

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you would create your applications for different platforms. Do I have to have blitz max on a mac, linux, and windows computer, and then compile my game for each platform, or is there an easier way?

Derron(Posted 2013) [#2]
you can use bruceys method of "crosscompiling".
Linux->Window
Linux->Linux
Mac->Mac
Mac->Windows
Windows->Windows

So for Windows you need another approach.

What I am doing is:
I code using linux. I have setup some virtual machines using VirtualBox. Just use one of your old and now unused WindowsXP-codes and install it from a legal .iso of the corresponding windows version (don't know if it is legal, but things like "MicroXP" just need 100mb and are way faster to boot/less ressource hungry).

Now just setup your virtual machine to use a sharedFolder or connect to a network-accessible share. This share is just pointing to your work-folder (or source folder).

Using this method you can access the files within your virtual machine - where you can compile - and even run them while still being in your normal day's OS.

Should be possible for Mac too (just take care if your country enforces you to behave accordingly to the mac-licence which should not allow being put into a virtual machine).

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
You *really* need to compile and test on the platform you're building for.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#4]
That is why I suggest a virtual machine.

Albeit the framerates are lower you can see how it would run on a really old machine :D - and if there are artifacts.

At the end you can still dualboot into another system.

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
My post was more in response to the comment about cross-compiling.