How do you scale images for different resolutions?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How do you scale images for different resolutions?

Chapman7(Posted 2013) [#1]
I am playing around with in game gui. Going up and down in resolutions was making managing gui slightly tricky. I was wondering what you guys did to scale the images nicely with resolutions changes.

Local LoadingWindow:TImage = LoadImage("Media/Images/GUI/WindowBracketSheetTwoBoards.png")
	Local WindowWidth:Float = Float(GraphicsWidth()/4)
	Local WindowHeight:Float = ImageHeight(LoadingWindow)*((Float(GraphicsWidth()/4))/(ImageWidth(LoadingWindow)))
	Local LoadingWindowBuffered:TImage = CreateImage(WindowWidth,WindowHeight,1,DYNAMICIMAGE|MASKEDIMAGE)

For the image width, I divided the window width by 4 (because I wanted the image to take up about a fourth). and then I kept the image aspect ratio the same by multiplying its height with the same change that the width had to make.

I'm hoping someone could show me a better way maybe using SetScale or something because another issue I was having was drawing text over the images at the right size font and SetScale would directly effect DrawText.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chapman7(Posted 2013) [#2]
Stumbled across this from user Jur
In my project I use 3 fixed game area sizes to cover major monitor ratios - 4:3, 5:4 and 16:10. Then I use projection matrix to scale these game sizes to particular resolution. That means I need 3 variants of full screen graphics (title screen and such)

Does that sound about right as far as whats best for me to do?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#3]
Not sure if this is what you mean, but might be of use...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2879