irrlicht - SetAbsolutePosition

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/irrlicht - SetAbsolutePosition

UNZ(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I have an animated mesh which I want to control. I have global positions the joints should go to but unfortunately SetPosition() always calulates from the parent's node.

I found http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42342 but it doesn't work for me. I don't know why.

The code

does not work.

What I'm looking for is a method 'setAbsolutePosition' which would return the original in 'c.setAbsolutePosition(c.getAbsolutePosition())'

Thought this would be easy...

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#2]
It appears to be correct, in theory; You are getting the child's world transformation, transforming it by the parent's inverse world transformation which should give the child's transformation relative to the parent.

The only thing I can think of is that 'matr = w2n.Mult(matr)' operation.
Are you sure it's not 'matr = matr.Mult(w2n)' ?

EDIT: I don't understand that 'w2n:Matrix4 = New Matrix4.Create()'.
If you're calling 'Create()', it should return an instance already - you wouldn't have to use New as well.
Generally inside the Create() function of a Type the programmer uses New to create a new instance and returns it so you don't have to use New yourself.

EDIT2: After hunting for the source, yeah, you should not use New. Just call Create:
Function Create:Matrix4(eConstructor:Int=EM4CONST_IDENTITY)
	Return createFromHandle(IrrCore_Matrix4_new(eConstructor),True)
EndFunction

Function createFromHandle:Matrix4(pMat:Int,bMustDel:Int=True)
	If Not pMat Then Return Null
	Local oRetVal:Matrix4=New Matrix4 '<--- It already creates a New one for you.
	oRetVal.attach(pMat,bMustDel)
	Return oRetVal
EndFunction

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#3]
Unless Create() is a Method which returns Self.

I usually construct my Type hierarchies in this way, so you can have a constructor with parameters - unlike New which takes none.