Problems with Win 7, DX 10/11 systems and DX 7/9

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Problems with Win 7, DX 10/11 systems and DX 7/9

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is having issues with DX 10/11 systems running on Windows 7?

I have a situation where my code (game) runs fine on any DX 7/9 systems but fails on Win 7 DX 10/11 systems ( I mean all of them ). Even though I'm using a DX 7/9 or OpenGL driver I get a "Unhandled Exception Error:Attempt to access a field or method using a null object" on Windows 7 and DX 10/11 systems.

All of the users reporting the above problem are all using Windows 7 and have DX 10 or 11.

I'm using oddmod2 which should not be a problem.

So anyone encountering this kind of problem?

Thanks,

popcade(Posted 2013) [#2]
I have such problem, after manual installing DX9 on my Win7 X64, problems don't appear.

On some Win7 systems, they don't have proper OpenGL diver either, need to manuall install factory driver as well.

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#3]
Make sure that you are placing files in the appropriate areas. Windows Vista and 7 do not like it when you write to the "Program Files" directory after the initial install. Also avoid using absolute directory paths when loading objects from the hard drive.
If you do this Local Enemy:TImage = LoadImage("C:\Program Files\MyGame\Images\Enemy.png"), then it will fail on Vista and W7, giving you the error you listed above. Instead, use relative paths Local Enemy:TImage = LoadImage("Images\Enemy.png") or use the AppDir variable tofind the program's location Local Enemy:TImage = LoadImage(AppDir+"\Images\Enemy.png")

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hi,

Well the same app was working fine on all my users systems (Win 7 DX 10/11) so they all have the required drivers. It's just all of the sudden stop working for them.

I'm left wondering if MS has changed something in an update. But who knows, just a weird problem.

@TomToad
I am using use relative paths.

- Rich -

Floyd(Posted 2013) [#5]
I'm left wondering if MS has changed something in an update.

When did the problems start? According to my update history the last time my 64-bit Windows 7 auto-updated was three weeks ago, on April 24.

There have been another twenty updates since then, but they were all just virus definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#6]
Microsoft releases their critical updates on the second tuesday of each month ('patch tuesday'), although when a computer actually installs them depends on their individual windows updates settings.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#7]
Hi,

After starting from scratch and reinstalling BMax and mod's the problem has disappeared. Given that I had not changed anything it's a head scratch'er.

Strange stuff. :|