Debugger revisited

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Debugger revisited

Pengwin(Posted 2013) [#1]
Some of you may remember that I created an external debugger some time ago for Mac users of BlitzMax.
Well, as I have recently started some rather large projects, I have dusted off the code, updated the graphics, fixed some bugs and recompiled it for Intel based Macs.

I know the response last time was rather mixed when I announced this, but hey, I prefer using it to the debugger built into the IDE and I also prefer to do my coding in TextWrangler.

So if anyone wants it, here is the link to grab it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6824211/Max%20Debugger/Max%20Debugger.zip

And here is a screenshot of the beast in action debugging my current project:

There is no documentation I'm afraid, I still haven't gotten around to writing it yet, but it should be fairly self explanatory to use.

There are still some things to do to it, so when I have the time, I will get to them.

Pengwin(Posted 2013) [#2]
Just a quick update.
I have now replaced the version of the debugger with version 2.1.

This one has syntax colouring, to make it a bit easier on the eye. To do this, it reads the colours from the BlitxMax IDE config file, so any changes there, will also reflect in the debugger. This allows you to maintain consistency with the apps.

matibee(Posted 2013) [#3]
It's not much good to me because I'm PC-based, but it looks nice.

I don't suppose it supports dynamic breakpoints does it? I'd switch to mac-dev just for that :)

Nice work.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#4]
Looks cool :-)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
What's it do that the normal debugger doesn't?

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#6]
I should probably get around to doing something similar at some point to utilise my remote/interactive debugging stuff.
Dynamic breakpoints (as opposed to on-the-fly pausing, which it already supports) sounds like something I should add to it too… hmm…

Pengwin(Posted 2013) [#7]
@Gfk, at the moment, it doesn't do anything the built in one does. I originally wrote it because I prefer to code in Textwrangler, rather than the IDE. As the debugger can be started by also passing source to it, I also have a script in TW that calls it automatically, the debugger then calls bmk to build the app before debugging.
It was more of a programming exercise than anything else, and as I said, now I am on an Intel Mac, I thought I would dust it off and update it.

@Brucey, it would be fairly easy to implement a simple debugger stub to run remotely, communicating to the via TCPIP. In that way, you could remotely debug from your preferred platform.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone about how dynamic breakpoints could be implemented in BlitzMax. That would be something I would definitely like to add.

matibee(Posted 2013) [#8]
Dynamic breakpoints (as opposed to on-the-fly pausing, which it already supports) sounds like something I should add to it too… hmm…

You're such a tease!

shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#9]
I can't start any Applications.They terminate before even starting.
The log in the bottom also just says executing and then 'Terminated' appears in the statusbar.

Looks great and I would really like to give it a try.

Pengwin(Posted 2013) [#10]
@shinkiro1 - Have you built them as debug versions?

shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yes.
Using the latest BMax 1.49.