BMax render engine

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/BMax render engine

col(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey all
Has anyone thought about making a complete render engine for opengl using just BMax yet?

Is it worth the effort?

I've seen some posts where people would like to see an engine written completely in BMax, and also some posts of people waiting for Mark to write one.

I for one would love to write one, but only if people are interested in. In fact I've started to write one thats completely shader based - No fixed function rendering at all.

I know some people are, or were, using external 3D engines and there isnt much going on in the BMax forums on the 3D side......
So shall I continue, or just leave it?

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Take a look at miniB3D forum :)

col(Posted 2010) [#3]
it looks like it doesnt use shaders?
or am i missing something?

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#4]
It doesn't use shaders.

I'd love to see what you've made :)

Cheers
Charlie

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#5]
It doesn't use shaders - after all, you asked for a 'complete render engine' written in bmax;

but you can also look at minib3dext, which does use shaders.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#6]
Afaik, Leadwerks Engine (at least the current version) is written in BlitzMax. It uses deffered rendering, so I guess its pretty shader-centric. What might be the dealbreaker for you is the price tag, but thats your business:

http://www.leadwerks.com

[Edit] Ontopic, me (and everybody else I guess) would love a free, modern 3D engine written in Max. So.. go for it :)

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#7]
There was one, and it was called "Max3D". It used to be hosted on GoogleCode but is now gone. I wonder why it disappeared?

It's shadow is here:
https://github.com/nilium/max3d

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
There was one, and it was called "Max3D". It used to be hosted on GoogleCode but is now gone. I wonder why it disappeared?

It was discontinued, pretty much due to lack of interest.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#9]
Lack of interest in 'producing it', that is. Everyone wants the cake, just not to bake it.

Last edited 2011