Very poor performance unter Linux on N270/GMA945

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Very poor performance unter Linux on N270/GMA945

explosive(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello everybody,

I am using an Asus Eee PC 1001HA as a mobile computer. I have mainly Linux (openSuse 11.3) running on it but also use the preinstalled Win XP. My main computer for developing is a macmini with MacOS 10.5.

Now I've ported a programme to Linux and I am very unsatisfied with it's graphics performance (less then 10 fps and 100% CPU usage). I just tried the same programme unter Win XP on the same machine and runs very smooth.
Using Linux on the macmini, I never had any bad experience with performance. But I can't verify my current code there as I am on holidays right now.

So before I begin posting codes here for everyone to test, I'd like to know if there are other people around that have problems with programmes under Linux on an Eee PC (or Atom N270 and an Intel GMA 945). Unfortunately I do have trouble in general with my drivers since oS 11.3 (which never happened before and I am using Suse for many years now). So this might not be directly an issue for the Blitz community.

Thank you for any replies
Simon

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
GMA 945 is a decent card for 2d , which linux distro do you use?
do you have recent opengl / mesa drivers installed?

ima747(Posted 2010) [#3]
Not a Linux expert (quite rusty at this point) but that smacks entirely of driver issues to me. On all the distros I've used getting good graphics drivers has always been critical to overall system performance as well as individual applications.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
I'd suspect that the video card / drivers are your bottleneck here as well...

explosive(Posted 2010) [#5]
Hi everyone,

I'm using the new opensuse 11.3. I had quite a few serious bugs running the new video driver. So I changed to the old intellegacy drivers which work fine though, but seem to be quite slow. Of course I keep the drivers up to date.

I've Ubuntu and the older opensuse 11.2 running on a macmini. I'll try to code there the weekend and then report the results.

Thanks Simon

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#6]

I'll try to code there the weekend and then report the results.

I've heard people having long weekends, but a 3 week one is ridiculous! :D

Dabz