Beginner's GLSL - 2 questions

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Beginner's GLSL - 2 questions

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello Blitzers,

I'm starting to learn more about shader programming with GLSL, but in my "studies" these 2 questions came up:

1) Inside a Vertex Shader I have a Uniform array of Mat4's, which has about some 32 elements.
Do I really need to map every single slot of that array using the "glGetUniformLocation()" and then later submit a matrix for every slot of this Uniform manually, or I can just submit a same-sized array of matrices at once?

2) If I have different meshes with different shaders "applied" (meaning, I want to use different shaders for different meshes), how would I change which shader to use?
Would I need to:
- Disable the current program using glUseProgram(0) first, and then use a different program (in other words, is it really necessary to put a NULL program before changing between programs), or...
- Simply use glUseProgram(n) and put a different program number (is that going to automatically change which type of program the renderer will use? isn't there going to be a left over leak from the previously used program or something?)

Thanks for reading.

Noobody(Posted 2010) [#2]
or I can just submit a same-sized array of matrices at once?

You can do that using glUniformMatrix4fv.

Simply use glUseProgram(n) and put a different program number

As far as I know, glUseProgram with a different program number should do the job. glUseProgram(0) is just for switching back to the fixed pipeline.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks for the explanation, Noobody.