How many stencil buffer bits?

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/How many stencil buffer bits?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#1]
Does anyone know or have reference to statistics as to how commonplace support for an 8-bit stencil buffer is? Is it truly safe to say that everyone whose system supports a stencil buffer will have at least an 8-bit buffer? I know the OpenGL spec is only a 1-bit stencil as minimum. I also know that most video buffers use a 24-bit depth buffer combined with an extra byte for the stencil, making them typically 8-bit. But is this widespread? If I write an app which uses individual stencil bits and needs to use 8 of them at once, on how many machines is it going to fail?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
It looks like 8-bit is pretty common since very old hardware.

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#3]
At least since GMA 900 for sure.

Unsure about cards that are older or DX8 targeted as the S3 / SiS that still float around in some cases.

though for those it does not make a difference anyway as they are granted to have enough problems with opengl as such already and with stencil buffers on their own performance wise :)
Anything thats performance wise able to handle stencil buffers and OpenGL should support 8bit ones

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#4]
Thanks for the information, good to know. I will go with the 8-bit then.. I am relying on there being 8 bits so that I can use each bit individually.