Max3D SDK?

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Max3D SDK?

Canardian(Posted 2007) [#1]
I hope when Max3D comes out, that there would also follow a Max3D SDK. Wouldn't that be the ultimate solution? Cross-platform, C++, OpenGL, Entity model, ...

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#2]
Max3D will be some time. In the meantime, check out LeadWerks' 3D engine. It may appeal to you.

Canardian(Posted 2007) [#3]
I had a quick look at the Leadwerks SDK demo, its still too early to say anything conclusive, but here's some thoughts I had so far:
1) How is the OpenGL engine done? Real C or just BlitzMax gl-commands?
2) The official SDK at version 1.0.0 has still lots of red bullets (not implemented yet)
3) I didn't see any mention about an TCP/UDP cubic spline network movement control :) That's what I REALLY miss. I want smooth massive amount of player movements like in WoW.
4) The lightning uses (or lets say: it supports) pre-rendered lightnings. I was hoping to see real-time lightnings and shadows like in Crysis.
5) I miss a FAQ page.
6) Is the source code available (like for TGE)?
7) It uses Newton physics, I like that!
8) The Videos and Games done with it look very nice, the lightnings and overall graphics quality in the Demos looked very nice too, but I'm not sure how they are done, or what makes them look so good.
9) The FPSPlayer script demo was too laggy. The script had also an "Sync()" statement at the end of the main loop, which was not documented in the Help file. I want a BlitzMax style "Flip 0" (no vertical sync).

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hey Lumooja... some good questions there. Unfortunately I can't help with most of them. You seem to know more about the engine than me. Your best bet is to mail Leadwerks.

A coupe of points
1) Wouldn't think it really matters to the user. Max has a decent compiler and most of the work is probably done by OGL, so there shouldn't be a significant speed difference.
2) True, but it seems that he's working on it like the clappers. Perhaps one to watch for the near future.
6) I don't think so.

Canardian(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yeah, I will be definately watching the development of Leadwerks SDK, but my first priority is still a sophisticated network module, so I guess I need to wait a bit longer until it would bring me some real boost over BlitzMax+MiniB3D ext :)

I bought also RealmCrafter 1 a long time ago (it's made with BlitzPlus+DirectX 9 DLL in C), in the hope that RealmCrafter 2 would be coming out some day and I could upgrade it, but it seems to take very long. The network code in RC1 keeps disconnecting all the time.

And 1) I think there is a big difference if the OpenGL engine is done with native BM gl commands or with a highly tweaked and optimized integrated Entity 3D engine like it was done in Blitz3D. Blitz3D still beats Blitz3D SDK in speed, so I would really like to see how BlitzMax3D ticks.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#6]
1) How is the OpenGL engine done? Real C or just BlitzMax gl-commands?
OpenGL commands are neither C nor BlitzMax. They are function pointers from the OpenGL dll, and are exactly the same regardless of the program that calls them. Leadwerks Engine is much faster than either Blitz3D or MiniB3D.

2) The official SDK at version 1.0.0 has still lots of red bullets (not implemented yet)
I need to update this. EAX, skeletal animation, and decoration layers have been added.

3) I didn't see any mention about an TCP/UDP cubic spline network movement control :) That's what I REALLY miss. I want smooth massive amount of player movements like in WoW.
This should be implemented by the end user.

4) The lightning uses (or lets say: it supports) pre-rendered lightnings. I was hoping to see real-time lightnings and shadows like in Crysis.
We are actually working on a lighting system right now using the same method as Crysis and Unreal Engine 3 (there are two of us now). See my dev log here:
http://forum.leadwerks.com/viewtopic.php?id=457&p=4

5) I miss a FAQ page.
Ask on the forum and we will try to help you:
http://forum.leadwerks.com/viewforum.php?id=13

6) Is the source code available (like for TGE)?
Not at this time, and not at this price.

7) It uses Newton physics, I like that!
I evaluated all the physics solutions out there, and found Newton to be the best.

8) The Videos and Games done with it look very nice, the lightnings and overall graphics quality in the Demos looked very nice too, but I'm not sure how they are done, or what makes them look so good.
It's the ambience. They are made in 3D World Studio. The engine comes with a lot of meshes and textures you can use in a game.

9) The FPSPlayer script demo was too laggy. The script had also an "Sync()" statement at the end of the main loop, which was not documented in the Help file. I want a BlitzMax style "Flip 0" (no vertical sync).
I have switched to using a Flip() command (with optional vsync parameter). In fact, the engine script now mirrors BlitzMax code exactly, so you can program in either one. I have also sped the rendering speed and loading time up by a lot.

Canardian(Posted 2007) [#7]
After final testing (500,000 Entities, 75,000,000 Polys), I came to the conclusion that the Leadwerks Engine (in conjunction with BlitzMax of course) just rocks!
Bought it.

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#8]
Wow! I love this! I'm working on my own rendering engine right now, and I won't be able to live up this in terms of power. But I think you made a wise choice to avoid basing anything on Blitz graphics, I did, and I've even made my own abstract file system (based mildly on the one you posted in the code archive, actually,) but It uses raw standard C file access. Using raw low level stuff... ultra fast. VERY VERY good job. I'm gonna buy my copy.

KimoTech(Posted 2007) [#9]
75,000,000 poly's, and 500,000 entities/batches? That might be a slideshow instead of realtime? LOL

errno!(Posted 2007) [#10]

After final testing (500,000 Entities, 75,000,000 Polys), I came to the conclusion that the Leadwerks Engine (in conjunction with BlitzMax of course) just rocks!
Bought it.

Whatever halo is paying you to make yourself look this stupid, it ain't enough. :)

(J/k don't ban me :P)

DavidSimon(Posted 2008) [#11]
If he compiles it, they will come.

Can't believe I just referenced field of dreams. You see what you've reduced me to Blitz.forums? Qouting kevin costner......I mean, i suppose it's better than qouting chris rock, but only by a small margin....

More seriously, it needs to be oop. it needs to be feature rich, and it needs to be aimmed at indie developers, not newbies.

If it really is b3d with next generation features, it may be enough. but then again, blitz3d is not exactly brimful of useful features TODAY, in this day and age.

I could live without max3d, but if mark delivers, I will pirate it. buy it. always buy it. never not buy it.