Vista Blitz and OpenGL

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Vista Blitz and OpenGL

Drey(Posted 2006) [#1]
So now i'm scared. Windows saying there's only support up to 1.4 and i'm using 2.0 (shaders and such). I tried to run my app in vista. Works for the file request and crashs when it tries to render 3D.

This scared me enough to start looking at C# and XNA. So does anyone really know the deal with Vista OpenGL AND BLITZ. Since mark is working on his 3d mod..i wonder where he is in on this.

I like BlitzMax( for the most part) i've already done alot of work in it. Though XNA really has alot of those tools made already( and i know how they work now..so i don't feel so bad about using them ). I just need to be able to make a clear sound decision...like now..or at least very soon. Any input will help. :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
Can you not use extensions to provide the same functionality?

Abrexxes(Posted 2006) [#3]
DX10 grafikcards will support openGL by Hardware. You dont need ms-support for that. If Vista is out, a driver and a DX10 card will be enough.

On NVidia/Ati cards you have the choice.
A) Win XP + DX9 adapter
b) Vista + DX10 adapter.

So, if you really want to spend 9GB to a new OS you must also buy a new Grafikcard to have full openGL support on Vista, else only emulation.

cu

NigelC(Posted 2006) [#4]
Not really true the OpenGL drivers are supplied by the card makers so download the NVidia drivers, or ATI drivers and give them a try.

In RC2 Modo would crash exactly as you described above with the drivers Vista installers, but installing the Nvidia drivers for RC2 fixed it.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#5]
Your program should be written in such a way that if extensions are not supported, you fall back on a basic renderer.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#6]
Or don't use extensions ;-D

Drey(Posted 2006) [#7]
Well, i've decide to use XNA and C# for now. I'm more of a console programmer when it comes to writing engines. I said earlier that i wanted shaders in my game. A few fall backs are alright with me...however, supporting dx7 cards or something..time for them to upgrade. I rather work on my game logic with the time spend setting up backfalls.

ByronAJ(Posted 2007) [#8]
You need to be aware also that when I attended a Vista internals meeting with M$ that Opengl is emulated with DX10 in Vista

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#9]
OpenGL isn't emulated.