Warning about gl_arb_texture_non_power_of_two

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Warning about gl_arb_texture_non_power_of_two

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've gotten inconsistent errors using non-power-of-two textures even when this extension is present. Don't trust it!

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
What kind of error does this include?
Beside stuff on NVidia GeForce 6600 which does not like non power of two non square textures and bugs everything (incl. B3D)

Warren(Posted 2006) [#3]
You'd think we would have moved past power-of-two textures by now. Surely texel interpolation speed is the least of the hold ups these days.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#4]
Beside stuff on NVidia GeForce 6600 which does not like non power of two non square textures and bugs everything (incl. B3D)

Huh? Since when? My GF6600 is perfectly happy with textures of all kinds of odd sizes. It's quite happy rendering to a 341x279 rendersurface, although I can't think of a good reason to create one.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yupp? try so in DX7 ^^ (Its one thing we found out the hard way with Blitz3D where loadtexture of non square non texture of 2 results in 0 results)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
try so in DX7

Why? This is the OpenGL forum and the subject is a GL extension.

(Its one thing we found out the hard way with Blitz3D where loadtexture of non square non texture of 2 results in 0 results)

I have no clue what you mean by that. The latest version of Blitz3D I ever used didn't load non-power of 2 textures on ANY videocard, regardless of whether or not the card supported it. Well it loaded them fine, but it automatically resized the texture to the nearest power of 2, which works just fine on any hardware I've ever owned.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#7]
@Dreamora - B3D has supported cards that only accept pow2 textures from day one. The GF6X00 series (and above?), however, requires a slightly different method of detecting whether the card supports non pow2 textures (with DX, at least).