Noob Question about GLTexFromPixmap

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Noob Question about GLTexFromPixmap

H&K(Posted 2006) [#1]
Main Question:

Above is the LoadGLTexture code from Nehe 6. This is the simplest code I have to load a texture. (Its sitting in a zip file with all the nehe, but tonyg said somewhere that it was the relevent one)

I want to just replace "everything" that can be replaced with
GLTexFromPixmap(LoadPixmap("tile1.bmp"))
But everywhere I can think to do it, I get a Int/int Ptr Problem.

Question Two:

Whats the "Smallest" code that nehe6 could really be? That is do I really need (For example), glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0). I assume lots of Nehe6 is there as an educational method, but If I just went for default, what could I cut it down to?

Question Three:

Ok this might sound like a dumb question, but do I really have to re-allocate the verticies each frame

Cannot I do this just once in init, and then rotate the thing each frame?

Cavat:

I dont understand GL, and as I have continualy failed to understand GL. I have picked my programing level, and It is not in the depths of either DX or GL. I can see the technical skill needed, and I simply havent gained such skills. So if you could explain what I need to do, please assume I know nothing about GL, and try to have as few gl commands as possible.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#2]
Errrr... I said what?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#3]
Somewhere in the depths of forum search you, (well I think it was you), are talking about Textured polyies, and say that this code is relevent NeHe tut. If Im miss-quoting you, then sorry. But when I then looked at the NeHe Tuts, you seemed right.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#4]
below is a better way of doing things:

And even corrects the colour errors.

GLTexFromPixmap(LoadPixmap("tile1.bmp"))

This gives you a GLTexture name and thus you do not need to generate the texture you only need to bind it.

Whats the "Smallest" code that nehe6 could really be? That is do I really need (For example), glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0). I assume lots of Nehe6 is there as an educational method, but If I just went for default, what could I cut it down to?

No it defualts to black.

Ok this might sound like a dumb question, but do I really have to re-allocate the verticies each frame

If you dont intend on change vertex positions then you can just use display list - they are realy simple.

Edit: You should be able to figure out how todo texture poly's from this.