external window handle and values

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/external window handle and values

PantsOn(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi

I am wondering if its possible to write a bmax program that can grab values from another window (not written in bmax)?

Reson being is that I want to write an application that will grab values form another window, so that I don't have to copy and paste into notepad one by one. I could just use my bmax to automatically grab the number and then after grabbing all numbers, write them out.

Is this possible?

oops wrong forum.... can someone swap this to the normal bmax programming forum please?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yes
But you have to use WinAPI or the other OS API to catch those events etc.
So not possible with bare BM

PantsOn(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm not even close to understanding winapi's yet.
How would I go about the above, (or quickly learn winapi's in blitz)?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#4]
"I don't have to copy and paste into notepad one by one"

Couldn't you do a crappy approach by making one program write out a value to a file, and then making the other open it up, read it and then delete. Make both progs run together, putting a suitable delay below between each file read and write.

eg
Prog 1 - If a file does not exist, make a new file, then move onto next number
Prog 2 - If a file exists read it and then delete it.

That's what I'd do :)

PantsOn(Posted 2006) [#5]
its the proggy bit that writes a value to a file (or grabbing it into mem). The external program with the value is not a BMAX proggy or one that I have written.

good idea though (not so crappy ;-)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#6]
There are better languages to write macro apps or even worse: key loggers, than BM as you will have to extern all the stuff etc.

I would suggest using C / C++ in that case.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#7]
I could never be bothered to properly learn Winapi either cos you end up hardly ever needing to use it, especially with games. I've missed you though Ric, hope things are going well for ya these days. (Especially with your pants :) )

PantsOn(Posted 2006) [#8]
I've never learnt it either as not needed for games.

Good to see you back on the seen too.
all good here btw Enay. Just got back (in April) from Japan. Awesome place dude.... need to get back asap.

Hope all is well on your side. What you up to nowadays?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oh yes, the big man told me you'd been to Japan, Yeah I love Japan too, I went again for 2 weeks in July, 2 months after you but this time on my own, I'm gonna go next time for a whole month if I can afford it. :) Glad you enjoyed it.
I'd love to live there for a while and try to improve my fluency (or lack of it) I've been busy lately, got 2~3 projects on the go right now. That and juggling my Japanese study, never a dull moment, what is it you're up too these days?

Infact I'll just send you an e-mail instead of rambling here. :)