Max Texture Units

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Max Texture Units

Drey(Posted 2006) [#1]
4 texture units. Does that mean i can only apply 4 textures at a time?...this is question actually gear towards fragment shaders. I won't say what's the point of having 8 uv coords..just seems odd that they don't match.

Drey(Posted 2006) [#2]
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/General_FAQ.html#t6

Pretty much made my day

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#3]
You only need 4. Lightmap, texture, bumpmap, cubemap.

Drey(Posted 2006) [#4]
what if i want to have an detail map on top of that. Just a rough texture scaled down through the matrix. Same goes for light interaction map (each texel has a shininess(r) self-emission(g) etc). The engine entirely running on shaders. I don't have interest in older computers because he game is going to be free.

shader model 2.0 cards basically my minimum target cards.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2006) [#5]
When you run out of texture units, you can always do an extra pass.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#6]
A detail map? Why not just use a good-res texture to begin with?

Drey(Posted 2006) [#7]
maybe i just need a 512x512 texture and a detail map the size of 32x32 scaled down to rough bumps and such. That's a better solution to me than a 1024x1024 texture that still couldn't really have the same level of detail of a scaled textured.

I know there's cases where i have to use it or it's not worth the extra work to avoid it, but i dread multi passing. Redrawing geometry just feels so wasteful. I'm try keep things in one pass when i can.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
If you card only supports 4 textures, I wouldn't bother with shader etc as the card already must be extremly old or extremely underpowered so it would break anyway if you try to do such "hardcore" stuff especially as most shader stuff done today needs Shader 2 / 3 which is definitely nothing adviceable for your card (thought the last one that only supported that less was GeForce3? Perhaps SiS, Intel and the like but those are no 3D cards anyway, just 2D with minimal 3D support for WinXP / Vista)

Drey(Posted 2006) [#9]
I have an ATI x1900xt now..when i made the post i had a n6600gt. I said i'm going to do support cards with shader 2.0 or higher. I've already written some shaders(and tested them) on my computer.