Why does this code draw colors with double value?

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Why does this code draw colors with double value?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#1]
I cannot figure out why this OpenGL code turns all glColor() calls into double their value. If I do glColor4b($80,$80,$80,$80) i get white pixels drawn. If I do $04,$04,$04,$04 I get $08 pixels draws. Everything gets doubled. I cannot understand why. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated. I know it's not the reading of the pixel that is in error. It's the actual drawing of it.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
This seems to be entirely a problem with glColor4b(). glColor4f(0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5) does draw mid-grey.

Just got to understand why.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
This would explain it:

"Signed integer color components, when specified, are linearly mapped to floating-point values such that the most positive representable value maps to 1.0, and the most negative representable value maps to -1.0. (Note that this mapping does not convert 0 precisely to 0.0.) Floating-point values are mapped directly."

So this means that glColor3b or glColor4b are actually SIGNED bytes, so if you say $80, it maps that as 1.0, which is same as $FF because the highest value can only be $7F.

What you have to use to do normal unsigned byte hex values, ie glColor3ub or glColor4ub (ub for unsigned byte). Good to know. I think I used `b` in some other test programs without realising it!