Math to Learn

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Math to Learn

IKG(Posted 2006) [#1]
Although I just bought a book on 3D maths, I would like to brush up on my math skills before reading it. What math do you think would help me most with OpenGL's vertices, matrices, etc.

Calculus? Trigonometry?

Thanks!

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
Trig.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#3]
specifically you want to be researching methods for manipulating quaternions, vectors and matrix

things like rotating a vector round quat are very useful and can build into a useful toolkit

You might want to consider wrapping some math routines from say Ogre as this could save reinventing the wheel

things like vector=quat*vector which you can do with Ogres math routines are most useful...

IKG(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ok, so calculus too? That's what Chris' idea sounds like to me.

Thanks also Noel :)

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well to be honest I was saying rather than learning whole broad chunks of math, learn instead specific mathmatical tools, most mathmatical entities (quats for example) can be used very successfully without knowing the minutiae of how they work, do you really need to understand covalent bonds to use or even program a computer?

research what maipulations you can perform on quats, vectors etc and what they are useful for.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#6]
You don't really need calculus... lots of geometry and understanding vectors and matrices would be best.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#7]
3D Math primer for graphics and game development otherwise is a great book to teach you +- all math needed for 3d game development