NVidia tut tut

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/NVidia tut tut

Tom(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was attempting cube mapping and was using one of their sample cube maps (the office lobby one) and some of their sample code. Rendered a reflective sphere and it looked fine, some text on there was mirrored in the sphere so I assumed all was ok.

Then I rendered out the cube map to an environment cube so I could see how it all looked, and noticed the text on that was reversed too.

Uh?

I found the text was reversed on the 'source' images, so I made my own and hacked away at it for a while and eventualy worked out I had to do some other stuff before it reflected correctly.

Conclusion: NVidia used a reversed cube map so the text looked mirrored! Unless I'm sorely mistaken, they're cheating :)

Moral: Be thankful for all the nice tutorials out there, but be sure you understand what's going on and don't always take them as gospel, else you'll waste time like I did.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#2]
thats a bit too tistorted isnt it?

surly you shouldnt see any of the red wall and less than 1/2 the blue wall ?

it looks like the reflection has its angles reversed...

Tom(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeh I'm using a wide FOV so you can see a bit more of the environment cube in the first pic :)

I edited NVidias cubemap, I horizontally flipped the front/back/top/bottom textures, then swapped the names of the left/right ones. Now it's correct.

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#4]
btw did I mention it looks good! :)