Flip normals again

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Flip normals again

Akat(Posted 2005) [#1]
look at this man... still have no conclusion on this... its working fine on windows OGL but when it comes to Linux OGL, the face normal will flip.. i try to draw the vertex from CW to CCW but it still appear the same, even if i put a code to flip the normal in OGL, also the same result comes out... u guys have any idea?

Akat(Posted 2005) [#2]
look at this... even using Dreide..

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks like a depth issue, what driver, xorg, opengl versions are you using. You may just have outdated drivers hence the reason it works on windows (drivers more readily availiable) than on linux (slightly more tweaking to get stuff working off the bat).

Akat(Posted 2005) [#4]
mmm... i think i grabbed the latest version from NVidia though.. GeForce FX 5600, NVidia Driver Version 1.0-7676, Server GLX Version 1.3, Client GLX Version 1.3 OpenGL Version 2.0.0... is there outdated somewhere guys?

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#5]
No that seems all perfectly up to date. You havnt set any weird options in nvidia-config or xorg.conf have you?

Akat(Posted 2005) [#6]
mmm there is no tricky-tricky set inside the NVidia settings... the weird is, its working fine if i compile using windows, n when i port to linux with the same codes, it will show u the wrong thing... and i used wine to run the windows compiled execution file, guess what.. its OK, no face flipping... is that something wrong with Linux OpenGL compilation within BMax???

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#7]
Looks like the ZBuffer is not working. Since you're using the same code, I would guess OGL Drivers are broken for some reason. :/

Akat(Posted 2005) [#8]
here u can compare.. one using wine n one using BMax compiled in Linux

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#9]
Mhmm definately a Z buffer issue, have you got GLX enabled (under the module section) also if you have time paste your xorg.conf file here so I can check it out. Otherwise you might want to uninstall the nvidia drivers and try reinstalling them. That might update the symbolic link to the opengl stuff if it was still linked to the old version.

Akat(Posted 2005) [#10]
how to do this GLX enable in the module actually?

and in my nvidia settings.. theres is nothing weird to set on and off man..

is that helping anywhere?

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#11]
i see exactly the same behaviour (with wine)

my card is an fx5200

Akat(Posted 2005) [#12]
actually in my case, when i used wine (BMax file compiled with Windows OS) its OK. it will run as it is.. but when it comes to Linux execution file (BMax file compiled with Linux OS), it will show u the wrong Z Buffer issue thing... Mark or anyone from BlitzSupport please look at this, we just wanna know which is the problem coming, is that fault cause by our machine or BMax compiler.. i just dont wanna spend too much time on drilling in our hardware n machine, and the end of days u guys will saying that is bacause of BMax compiler issue instead..

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#13]
In your xorg.conf file make sure

Load "glx" is under the Module section.

It seems there is definately a problem with your Linux blitxmax implementation. I've been using blitzmax under linux, (IDE is hideous) for a couple of weeks doing 3d stuff and havn't come accross with a problem like you describe.

Try deleting the blitzmax and reinstalling it from scratch and doing a fresh syncmods from blank.

Akat(Posted 2005) [#14]
look at my xorg.conf.. glx stuff loaded..

i did delete the BMax and reinstall it, n SyncMod again, but still the same... btw, im using Slackware 2.7 and GNOME Desktop 2.10.2... is that because of that? because im trying with others machine its still the same

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#15]
if it really was a fault with your config the win32 exe wouldnt work under wine either...

I'll bet you dont have the zbuffer problem with any C apps either

FYI I'm using Ubuntu and I've also seen exactly the same problem under fedora

Akat(Posted 2005) [#16]
that's what im talking about... win32exe under wine perfectly run..

and all C apps also dont have this problem either.. that whats me thinking is not my machine is the probs, but the compiler instead...

mmm.. Ubuntu, im regret it now, before i used Ubuntu, but due to the Wacom probs, replace with something else... so now is that OS issue??? thats mean BMax compiler not suit all Linux OS??

btw, what actually the difference between all this Suse, Fedora, Red Hat, Slackware etc.. i think its coming from one core (Linux), is that such problems dat nvidia setting differ from one another?

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#17]
to be honest once you correctly configure linux the only
real difference between the ditros is how upto date the
packages are...

I find that ubuntu do amazing work with the updates (almost
every day)

I've tried compiling the nvidia module from the latest and
from previous versions of nvidias drivers with the same
effect... :(

I'd be *very* interested to hear if its only the fx5200
does anyone see this behaviour with other models, is it
only the fx5200?

I've looked at the Max code (Linux and windows) version
but cant see anything obvious, the only thing I can think it
can be is the X isnt reporting/giving a large enough
z-buffer but I havent been able to verify this.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#18]
Don't have this problems with XandrOS, ATI mobile M10 and BM 1.10 Linux.

So chances that's a driver or driver installation based issue is there as XandrOS is a debian based distro as Ubuntu is (if I'm not wrong).