Tattoo 0.04 - Return of the Texture

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Tattoo 0.04 - Return of the Texture

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All,

I think I've cracked it. I managed to get hold of a Radeon 9700 from a friend's pc that I was repairing. :)

Before I describe what it was here is the download to test. I tested it on both the Radeon and the Geforce FX9700 and it appears to work well on both.

<paranoia mode>
Could anyone who experienced the prior corruption confirm that the problem has in fact gone away
</paranoia mode>

Download 0.04

* The cause *

1) BglTexFromPixmap converts textures to RGBA format
2) I'm copying from the backbuffer to textures
3) *ATI CARDS APPEAR TO HAVE AN ALPHA CHANNEL IN THE BACKBUFFER!*

Nvidia card appear to have no Alpha in the backbuffer, but ATI cards seem to. This means that the alpha component from the brush was getting written back into the source texture, then it became semi transparent and all hell broke loose as it was invert blending with the brush etc.

This means that I needed to switch blending off and on depending on it being either a grab from the texture, or a render from the brush respectively.

It was a very tricky thing to diagnose. Hopefully there isn't anything else I missed. :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nope -- no alpha now, but still getting that weird pink/black texture with writing in it!

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
All is well on my end.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#4]
Sayyyyyywhat!

Sorry, James, do you mean it has the same corruption as before? (would you mind kicking your GFX card for me ;)

Are the Catalyst drivers up to date?

@Noel - Good to know at least.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
Works fine here now (I had corruption before).

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#6]
Anyone with a Mattrox card? I remember that some Radeon driver versions and pretty much all Mattrox cards failed on the original Blitz3D Tattoo, I was wondering if the same was true now.

So is it only James' Card that still sees corruption to the painting then?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#7]
It works here! Hooray!

A small request: add tablet support, see my sig :)

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#8]
A small request: add tablet support, see my sig :)

Yup that's next up thanks. Problem is my GFX tablet is broken. So I'll have to let you test it for me :)

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#9]
ok.

TattooMax 0.05 to Test.

It should have GFX tablet support now so that the pressure will control the alpha component of the brush. If you're using the mouse it is controlled by the Mouse wheel.

As I mentioned my GFX Tablet bit the dust some months ago, so I have no way of testing it.

Other Controls:
MB2 = Rotate Model Via Mouse
A / Z = Zoom in / Out
W = Wire Frame
Arrow Keys = Rotate Model.
PG_UP / PG_Down = change Brush Size
Space Toggle = Texture Filtering Off/On for Model.

Now I'm missing a GUI... :/

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#10]
Everything works fine on my side now :P this igetting to look nice

T-Light(Posted 2005) [#11]
Terrific :)

Had the ATI problems with version .03, works like a dream now.

ps, Not sure if it was on the Newtek forums or another Lightwave user group but someone mentioned taking another look at the older version of Tatoo as FI's chalk couldn't handle subpatches. Anyway, here's the question, will the new version of Tatoo support the new subpatch modes within LW 8 and beyond?

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#12]
Hi all,

Not sure what the final specs will be. It has a lot of potential, I agree, but I'm unsure whether to wait for Max3D or continue to hammer my own 3D implementation out as I go. A lot will hinge on how well the GUI module turns out I suppose.

Can anyone confirm that the GFX tablet pressure sensitivity is working?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yep, pressure sensitivity works. It does seem a bit over-sensitive, but I think that is due to the way you draw. Ie.: That you keep drawing on the same pixels in an accumulated way.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#14]
It shouldn't keep painting if you keep the pen still. It detects if you move and paints as you go (a bit like a ball point pen). ALthough I do need to set up a step parameter.

It's probably quite difficult to put a low enough pressure on the tip as the alpha needs to be about 5-10% to get just a tint.

Glad it's working ok though. I miss my GFX tablet.

Would this work with any tablet? Or only Wacom and similar?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#15]
It's working on all tablets it's been tested with. Ie:
Wacom: Intuos2, Intuos3, Graphire, Cintiq
Trust: Work Tablet 400
Medion: Unknown (rebadged Mustek according to Scouse)
If you're looking for a cheap replacement the Trust work tablet 400 is ok, although the pen is a bit clunky (because it has a battery inside). The Medion models I've tried has a tendency for cursor jitter, so they're not much fun.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#16]
Sad thing is, the tablet itself seems to be detected and the driver says its there, but it no longer recognised the pen. It's an old Intuos one. I think a replacement pen is about £50 or so, but I would hate to buy another Intuos pen only to find that the problem was with the tablet itself.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#17]
perhaps you can borrow one, to test...?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#18]
Yeah, give Wacom a call and ask if they can sponsor you a tablet. They're pretty friendly so I think they would be interested.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#19]
Yeah, give Wacom a call and ask if they can sponsor you a tablet. They're pretty friendly so I think they would be interested.

Might just do that :)

EOF(Posted 2005) [#20]
Working correctly on my Radeon X600 Pro now.
Thumbs up.

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#21]
Works prefectly here on both my crappy Radeon 9250 and Geforce 6600GT :D

BlackSp1der(Posted 2005) [#22]
only to know...
Is possible to make a software for modeling a 3D figure instead of paint it?

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#23]
It's easy to make something to make models. The trick is to make it easy to use yet powerful. It's a balance that is hard to get right and few packages really get it right IMHO.

Tom(Posted 2005) [#24]
BlackSp1der: Yes, although you would preferably need a nice GUI (hint hint BRL) :)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#25]
Just letting you guys know that ASDA in the UK do a tablet for £23.00, I have one and it seems fine with all products I've tested it with (although not Tattoo yet).

Great as a cheap option.

I guess only the bigger stores with PC equipment sections will stock it.

IPete2.

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#26]
Worked fine with my Wacom graphire...

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#27]
Worked fine with my Wacom graphire...

Good. Still waiting on the GUI. I am also not sure if I should wait for Max3D...

Kev(Posted 2005) [#28]

Just letting you guys know that ASDA in the UK do a tablet for £23.00, I have one and it seems fine with all products I've tested it with (although not Tattoo yet).

cool yes ive been out and got one from asda :) so checked here and works fine on my trust gfx tablet.

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#29]
cool yes ive been out and got one from asda :) so checked here and works fine on my trust gfx tablet.

Cool!

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#30]
I bought your old Tattoo app, and MAN this version is SO much faster! whats the big secret? :)

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#31]
It's purely a Driver thing as far as I can tell. The old one was done in Blitz3D and actually does a lot more than this Alpha one in the background.

On some Nvidia driver versions the speed is the same between the two, on others, the OpenGL one flies far ahead.

Once the GUI is out, I'll try and put together a bit more of a working test.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#32]
Getting anything out of the GUI now then, TeraBit?

Please tell us of your progress :)

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#33]
Yes. I've got this running in a GUI window that resizes etc. Got to start plumbing in all the boring bits now... Once I've got something interesting to show I'll post an update.