Animated 3D objects

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/Animated 3D objects

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2005) [#1]
1. Is there anyway to load a 3D Mesh in BMax at the moment

2. Is anyone working on loading and animating 3D Models (b3D etc), implementing heirachies of 3d objects etc.

i was going to start, but not worth it if in progress

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#2]
we just have static loading in Antony's engine currently, and the local coordinates don't register properly a lot of the time, so you have to reset the local coordinates and align to the world if you do any rotation or scale transforms, you also have to reset transforms and colapse the stack in 3dsmax as they allways seem to reset to their original orientation otherwise. Bit of a pain really as you lose a lot of useful history you would normaly want to keep.

Havent tried animation yet but currently rotating copies of objects often end up facing the wrong direction. So we havent got there yet either.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2005) [#3]
Sounds like your quite a way along with this, so I shall monitor your progress, thanks

Tom(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'll be checking out animation soon I hope.

As for mesh loading, you could try Terrabits B3D loader from his level demo.

I've been messing with mesh stuff a lot the last few days, and was thinking about mesh formats to support, and I ended up wodner why there isn't some kind of GL specific mesh format out there.

Currently I'm just passing data from Lightwave to a text file and loading that in for testing e.t.c.

B3D might be useful as it can store user defined chunks, handy for the extra stuff GL supports, like blending modes e.t.c

Evak what's the problem with Antonys loader?

Tom

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#5]
No problems, in the true sense of the word. I just havn't implemented per child-scale, which recursively affects children pivot positions.
I've not seen any rotation problems, though, or at least havn't been sent any levels that exhibit such problems. (Evak has mentioned it though..)

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2005) [#6]
If you need a tester for Trinity3D, count me in

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#7]
I guess I ought to send you a scene that illustrates the rotation problem. It's the same old problem we allways had, going back to the little robot with his gun facing the wrong way, and the level built of tiles, where any rotated ones were loaded rotated 90 degrees in the wrong direction.

real pain, as you have to juggle 2 copies of every scene and spend a lot of time resetting stuff before export.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#8]
Rob,
I would be willing to bet tomorrow's lunch that BRL aka Mr Mark Sibly will have a .b3d loader in the 3D module that he referred to inhis worklog.

I am going to wait until a 3D module release from BRL before working on too many things in this area

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2005) [#9]
I agree Bill