How low level are Nehe tuts?

BlitzMax Forums/OpenGL Module/How low level are Nehe tuts?

DBlade(Posted 2014) [#1]
Well, I've been playing around quite a bit with the goal of learning. I typed the first few line by line to learn. And I have heavily modified the first six NeHe tutorials just to "see if I truly understood them." I added new features, changed some of the default starting parameters to make them look nicer by doing things such as changing colors, rotation speeds, etc. (These are debatable of course, since it's a matter of personal preference) :)

Anyway, I'm a beginner so I don't really know what I'm doing yet, but I've noticed that the commands in these tutorials appear to be relatively low level (in comparison to "higher level" commands, scripted actions, and logic which can be typed in just a few lines of code when using a 3D engine.)

But my question is: HOW low level are we talking here? Is it "so tedious as to be effectively impractical" to attempt a 3D game in this manner (rather than using some 3D engine)?

UPDATE AS OF FEB 3:
I've been able to compile and run almost every one of the NeHe tuts, although
past number 6 they become progressively less self-explanatory to someone who
is still new to OpenGL. Ive modified the code for the first 8 of the forty tutorials. Number 13 gives an error at compile time: "Identifier
'glFixedFontBitmaps' not found".

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#2]
simple answer:
one step away from the actual chip. You are about as low as you can get without using graphics card assembly language.

when you use an openGL command, you are sending a command directly to the graphics card. it stores the commands in a big list (internally) and when you end the list, it runs through them. So it is a programming language.

a 3d engine is something that spits out a predefined set of lists to the card doing things like loading models, rotating, particles, handling physics, etc.. whatever

If you use an engine, it will only do what it's programmers wanted it to do, so if it doesn't do particles (and thats what you want), then you are going to either have no particles, or write it yourself.

so opengl itself you will need to get familiar with 3d programming, normals, etc.
an engine you play with what the engine provides

DBlade(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks for this! I had been wondering about this question for some time.

DBlade(Posted 2014) [#4]
BTW, this leads me to a few related questions, which I can make a separate post for if necesary:

How long would it take to become proficient enough at some of the more widely used 3D Engines, to make my first simple game with them?
(Irrlicht, Leadworks, Ogre[not an engine], miniB3D, max3D, Xors3D, Warner's Engine, etc.)

2. Which is best for a BEGINNER to 3D, who does not strictly need shaders, would like to develop the game reasonably rapidly, and would like to keep things as "BlitzMax-ish" as Possible?
(IOW, needing to learn as few additional commands as possible, and sticking to typing
actual BlitzMax syntax and high-level wrappers
as much as possible.)

QUESTION #2., reworded: What's the closest thing to an "official" 3D solution currenly Available?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#5]
QUESTION #2., reworded: What's the closest thing to an "official" 3D solution currenly Available?

Max3D, which was unfinished, discontinued, open sourced, and pretty much abandoned.

There are a number of unofficial 3D libraries, but nothing from BRL themselves.

DBlade(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah I noticed other threads saying something to that effect, although I wasn't completely certain of its current status, until now. Bummer. :(

What would you recommend, then? Any "runner-ups"?

BLaBZ(Posted 2014) [#7]
Honestly,

There's currently nothing perfect for blitzMAX at the moment.

You have to pick and choose what matters most to you.

miniB3D is a perfectly capable 3D command set.
Pros - Open source, capable, very solid
Cons - No physics, dated graphics (no AA, normal mapping, shaders etc.)

Leadwerks is phenomenal but I would recommend getting your hands on their latest which is version 3. I'm not sure if there's currently a binding for it.
Pros - Latest graphics, top knotch engine
Cons - Not open source, I don't think this is a big deal though

Xors3D - Don't waste your time.

Ogre - Complicated

I'd figure out what the scope of your game is, and choose from their. What are you looking for in an engine?