APK Emulation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax NG/APK Emulation

Scaremonger(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi all,

I've just installed BMX-NG and followed this guide to create an Android application.

I couldn't find the Android SDK to download alone, so installed Android Studio and added several Android versions in SDK manager before compiled Bruceys Firepaint.

I now have an APK build in BlitzmaxNG.

I don't really want to install it on my phone just yet and I know there is an Emulator provided with the SDK but how do you use it?

The documentation for Android Studio says to go into Tools | Android | AVD Manager, but this presumes you have already created a project within the Studio. Do I have to do that as well?

Maybe I should just find an image for Virtualbox...

Any suggestions?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
sorry to disappoint you Scaremonger but you can't do any emulation with NG apps because it's not native build. Check my older threads even Brucey already confirmed this.

I also did SDK emulator and AVD stuff and it does not work as I recall or maybe someone should post a screenshot.

Just load it up straight to your phone :-)

Scaremonger(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks @RustyKristi, at least I can stop trying to get it working now. :)

Where is an old phone when you need one...

Cheers,

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
no prob. The only advantage I could see is hitting that build button on maxide and you got your apk instantly without any gradle or commandline stuff. ;-)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#5]
@ Rusty
You know that BMX NG supports a "post.bmk" and "pre.bmk" (in the folder of the application) and BMK is then running it before (pre.bmk) and after (post.bmk) compilation/linking/.. ?

You might play with it - and even automate the process installing it on your device:

post.bmk
bmk.Sys("adb install -r " .. bmk.Quote(inFile))

(untested, but the command is "adb install -r filename.apk"))

You should also be able to have it run in a VM (android x86 - so you need to build for "android - x86" instead of ARM).

bye
Ron

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#6]
Thanks Derron. Well yeah, I think that should work too but just tried it and I get a compile error rebuilding the modules..

[SDL] fatal error: iconv.h: No such file or directory

not sure if NG/BRL modules are tested on all architectures for android, so far I see it only builds with arm.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#7]
Raise an issue so Brucey can tackle it "next year".

bye
Ron

Scaremonger(Posted 2016) [#8]
I'm getting the same issue with SDL.c when compiling x86. ARMeab5 and 7 both compile without a problem.

I've raised this as an issue on github.

[ 28%] Compiling:SDL.c
In file included from E:/BMX-NG/mod/sdl.mod/sdl.mod/SDL/include/SDL_main.h:25:0,
                 from E:/BMX-NG/mod/sdl.mod/sdl.mod/SDL/include/SDL.h:32,
                 from E:/BMX-NG/mod/sdl.mod/sdl.mod/SDL/src/SDL.c:29:
E:/BMX-NG/mod/sdl.mod/sdl.mod/SDL/include/SDL_stdinc.h:87:20: fatal error: iconv.h: No such file or directory
 # include <iconv.h>
                    ^
compilation terminated.
Build Error: failed to compile E:/BMX-NG/mod/sdl.mod/sdl.mod/SDL/src/SDL.c

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#9]
nice