Feedback in compiling latest NG from git.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax NG/Feedback in compiling latest NG from git.

seriouslee(Posted 2016) [#1]
This is on Windows 10 using the BMX 0.77 on bmx-ng.com as a starting point.

I have compiled the latest bcc and bmx and placed them in the bin folder along with the most recent make.bmk (shows a newer date than the 0.77 build). I also copy brl.mod, pub.mod, maxgui.mod, and sdl.mod from the Git repo (latest) into the mod folder.

When rebuilding modules, the system moves along as expected until it gets to common.bmx.debug.mt.win32.x64.c (it shows about 53% or 54% complete), which it lists compiling 3 times and then hangs for a very long time (like over a minute or 2). It finally does finish without error messages and continues on. In the release run (meaning when it starts over in the % complete part and is building release modules), it runs right over it without any issue: it doesn't even pause. So far I have not had any trouble compiling programs but I haven't tested extensively.

The behavior is similar whether compiling 32 bit or 64 bit. In the task manager, you can see 3 cc1.exe(32bit) programs instigated with high CPU utilzation. 2 of them exit after several (< 7) seconds but one stays for the 2 - 3 minutes. CPU utilization shows it is not hung (it changes showing activity), but sure does take a long time getting through it.

Does that concur with your findings on rebuilding modules in Windows with the latest build?

--
SeriousLee

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
I'd do this in 3 steps

1) Download the latest Window release.
2) Update bmk and bcc to latest version using git. I'd use vanilla to build the exes
3) Update the default mods (BRL/PUB)

4) enjoy :-)

With that, I don't have any problem with my installation or something related on what you have reported.

But probably it's a Win10 thing if your installation is really working.

seriouslee(Posted 2016) [#3]
Yeah I can believe that, as Windows defender is pretty active during the build process, and I haven't checked yet into how to temporarily deactivate it for testing. Thanks for the advice. I am curious why compiling with vanilla is better in your opinion. I do not have one just curious.

-- SeriousLee

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
I am curious why compiling with vanilla is better in your opinion.

Actually it just so happens to be recommended by most NG users before I started using it. You could confirm this and find more on the most recent NG long threads here.