Asteroid Creator Update

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Asteroid Creator Update

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#1]
Here is an update from my current subproject:

I can weld the vertices now but I still have a problem: I have a good working weld mode and a second, faster / more efficient weld mode with an UV problem, perhaps somebody can give me a hint here what's wrong. Just change the Const WeldMode:Int=0 to 1 and rotate the asteroid and you'll see what's wrong - there is a thick, ugly seam from north to south pole.

AsteroidCreatorUpdate.zip

I've added some basic functions to visualize the vertex/triangle normals, vertices and UV map, use the N/V/U keys for that. It looks like the UV map is broken somehow in the faster weld mode. When I save the asteroid to B3D, reimport it in Ultimate Unwrap, create a new spherical UV map (with space poles) everything looks fine and the vertex amount keeps the same. I don't understand it. I already tried to create a function to recalculate the UV map like Ultimate Unwrap does it after welding but wasn't successful here.

Here a screenshot for the UV map problem:

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#2]
Just looking at the UV map problem screenshot: it looks like you're creating extra faces across the width of the map, notice in each row there is a line connecting the upper right corner of the row with the lower left. That same subdivision issue seems to be leading to the end points getting crushed.

Since you said you have the same point count check and see if any of your points are identical. If you have the same count but different visual result then the placement isn't right, and those kinds of things tend to be overlap.

Side note: that top screenshot looks fantastic!