Mesh shining through, sort of

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Mesh shining through, sort of

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

I'm not sure how to describe this one. I managed to load my model into B3D, all good. The whole thing rotates, scales, does want I want, basically. However, for some reason, when rotating, it seems to sort of flicker and things "shine through". It's hard to explain, so have a look:

Do you know what is the cause of this?

The meshes that make up the model are rotated by 1 degree (horizontally) on each refresh.

Thanks for your insights.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Looks to me like the bits that go across are inside out. Need to flip the normals.

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#3]
Definitively looks like it's a 'normal' problem. Try using 'updatenormals' on the mesh.

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
In Real Life™ two things can't occupy the same place at the same time.
Inside a virtual world the same does not apply.

If it's flickering, it's most likely due to the rasterizer changing its mind every frame on which polygon's pixels to draw first.
To help the rasterizer be more consistent, try to arrange the overlapping bits in that model so they are mathematically touching just at their edges, but are not intersecting as much as now.
You'd do this in your modelling application.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hi GfK, SLotman and Kryzon,

I'll listen to your advises and keep giving those a try. I'll let you know about my results :)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yes, so your advises were correct :) The mesh(es) are now correctly shown, keep their texture and all that jazz.

Last edited 2012