3D application for animation and modeling

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/3D application for animation and modeling

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#1]
So... One simple question...
Is there any way to actually make B3d models easy and fast?

B3d's been around for years now, you'd think there would be some good B3d exporters, but it seems you always end up having to convert the mesh 10 times before you can actually use it in MiniB3D.

I've used 3D Studio Max, Maya and Milkshape but as I said...
In the end, you have to convert the mesh multiple times to actually use it.

And animations seem almost impossible to export from Maya or any other tool.
I can live with exporting my static Maya models to Obj and then convert them to B3D (or use a Obj loader for MiniB3D) but animations are very important!
I guess it's possible to animate Obj models in Milkshape 3D but the application is FAR from easy to work with when it comes to animations.

So yeah, how do I animate/model B3d meshes easily?

Last edited 2011

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#2]
http://www.fragmosoft.com/

I use Lightwave and my customized obj loader. I haven't tried the B3D exporter for it yet.

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#3]
Fragmotion seems just as messy as Milkshape tbh. :/
And Obj supports no animations so that's not really an option for me.

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#4]
PaceMaker's OK: http://www.goddysey.com/

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#5]
+1 for fragmotion, it's easy enough to use as its customisation options are so flexible.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#6]
3D Max 9 supports the B3D export pipeline perfectly. It even have a preview window so you can view how the B3D file would look in Blitz3D.

Unfortunately the pipeline didn't get an update - so anything newer then Max 9 (2008?) won't work.

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#7]
@SLotman Well I just happen to have 3D Studio Max 9, link to the exporter?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#8]
See here: http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#9]
Nothing on that page is for 3D Studio Max 9.
Can't find anything via Google either.

EDIT: Actually, poking around the Blitz forum has revealed a Max 9 Patch for the plugin. :o
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=93333

Last edited 2011

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#10]
Ok so this 3D Studio Max 9 B3d exporter is great!
Why isn't this posted on like the front page along with constant updates?
Should be a sticky here on the forum atleast.
It's made everything a lot easier... Not that I actually know how to use 3D Studio Max (More of a Maya kind of guy) but that problem can be solved with lots of practice and patience, and so far everything's worked out perfectly.
All my test models have been exported just as I wanted them, and animations seems to work too, although I still have lots of tests to do with animation.

But yeah, thanks for showing the B3d exporter guys, it should get more attention. _o/

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#11]
The bone-animated meshes the pipeline exports have broken normals. Also, it prioritizes the scene hierarchy rather than the 'visual' hierarchy.

3DS Max's scenes are structured differently than the B3D format, so if you export the scene as it is (as the pipeline does with regular animated nodes), the animation you play in your game engine will be different than the one that was originally set up.
You can see this when you have several animated nodes in a chain, all with different animations that mix as the hierarchy goes down.
In my opinion as an artist, you want the scene to be displayed in the same way you meant for it to be displayed, regardless of the arrangements you need to make in the hierarchy for this to happen.

Why isn't this posted on like the front page along with constant updates?

Because the author stopped developing it. We know it better; the newer versions of 3DS Max have several new features and fixes. But there's a steady demand for a solution that works in these new versions - there are other engines that use the B3D format to a great extent too.

Last edited 2011

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#12]
Well be that as it may Kryzon, the B3d Exporter we have now still seems to be the best (and free) alternative there is, and has so far worked amazingly well compared to everything else I've tried.

I just find it very odd that this exporter is nowhere to be found on this page when it makes things so much easier.
It should have a link in the toolbox, a front page entry or at least a sticky in the MiniB3d forums.
I mean... It's not even in the MiniB3d wiki!

All I'm saying is that I think it deserves some recognition and attention.

And if a newer/better? alternative is to come along down the road, well then I'll say the same thing... It really deserves some attention.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#13]
I couldn't agree more.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#14]
I agree as well. It's been a long time since the peak of its use, so that's probably why you haven't heard of the pipeline.

You can find it (along with [dead] links to other exporters) at the Specs and Utils page.