Antialiasing question...

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Antialiasing question...

*(Posted 2011) [#1]
My question is this, has something changed since the old threads (about 3 years ago) till now as when I use the antialias.bmx and use any of the settings I get a noticable performance hit. My Mac mini has a 9400 with 256Mb ram, and has 4Gb system ram with OSX 10.6.8.

Just was wondering as the performance hit is quite severe making the effect useless, with setting 2 I get a 7-12fps hit from 60 down to 48-53fps right upto 16 where I get 3fps.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
No idea if much changed, but FWIW: anti-aliasing typically requires the video card to render 4 times as much information (and then blend/scale it down), so it's pretty much always going to be a significant performance hurdle no matter what.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#3]
I don't know what that "antialias.bmx" contains, but MiniB3D by default uses the accumulation buffer to create an antialiased image. It renders several slightly jittered views so you get a blurred image.

The amount of states and code this "manual" method requires always makes it slower than letting the hardware do the averaging itself through multisampling (see what JoshK wrote in this thread).

In platforms where multisampling is not available, accumulation is the way to go.

*(Posted 2011) [#4]
Ah ok will have a look thanks :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#5]
AA is best left to the hardware. I made a FSAA hack using primitive OpenGL here, which gives better performance than the "jitter" accumulator that miniB3D uses:
http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=93374

Last edited 2011