Sample .b3d models

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Sample .b3d models

jtfrench(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey there,

I'm using MiniB3d on my Mac. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a place where I can find a handful of .b3d models ready to use in an engine. I just need something for some tech demos — nothing to use in a final game, so subject matter of the models isn't important, as long as there are the basics (character, vehicle, animation, etc).

A few notes:

• I don't know 3D modeling, and I don't really want to spend much time on that side of things
• About all I can stand in the realm of modeling is Google Sketchup, but I don't know how to export to .b3d directly from Sketchup (haven't found any working plugins)
• Couldn't successfully install the b3d exporter for Blender (just downloaded blender 2.49 and could not find the hidden ".blender" directory to install Brucey's python script), though quite frankly, I'd prefer not to have to use Blender at all. That ish be scary

any ideas?

thanks

Warner(Posted 2011) [#2]
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/
Under 'links' at the right, choose 'free 3d models'

ima747(Posted 2011) [#3]
Just an FYI, the blender scripts folder is a nightmare to find on mac, here's how:
2 things to know. It's INSIDE the app, and it's invisible too...
Here's a shortcut: in the finder, under the "Go" menu, select "Go to folder..."
Assuming you have the blender application inside a folder titled "Blender" in your applications folder on your boot drive, enter
/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender
into the folder field. Adjust the path as needed to point to the blender app. That will open the .blender folder inside the application's contents bundle and allow you to drop in the script into the scripts folder. Be sure not to mess with anything else while you're doing this... there be dragons... Blender is a nightmare to get started with since it's designed for pro's first and no one else second, but it is an unbelievably great modeling suite if you can get through the crust, and all for free on any platform you like :0)

jtfrench(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

@Warner: Thanks for the link, I'm downloading some stuff now.

@ima747: Thanks for clarifying that! Yeah, I was just "ls -a"'ing the Blender directory --- not inside the application package. You have saved my interest in Blender....for the meantime...haha!

jtfrench(Posted 2011) [#5]
I downloaded the Dwarf and Ninja models in .b3d format. They load fine as static meshes, but when I try to animate theme by first calling "loadAnimMesh" and then doing UpdateWorld/RenderWorld, I get a bunch of distorted geometry for both.

Does minib3d have any oddities when it comes to animation?