MD'oh 2 test!

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/MD'oh 2 test!

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just trying to implement an MD2 loader... for now, all external (not extending TMesh, not using the built-in animation system...) - here I present the "Homer army":

Not only it loads the MD2 model, but also will have interpolation (some basic interpolation is already implemented) and can also load 8 bit or 24 bit PCX files.

Here on my laptop (1.8Ghz celeron, 1Gb RAM, Radeon X1300 - I get around 50 fps. Please test it, I need to see if this still needs more optimization, or is it OK to be integrated into miniB3D.

Download: MD2 demo

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2010) [#2]
Generally stick at about 60fps for me, windows 7 under parallels virtualization on Mac Pro, allocated 4, 2.4ghz xenons, with ATI 5770. Would expect it to be faster if booted into windows directly for full hardware access, and assuming it's not trying to vsync (always gotta ask if it's sitting so solidly at 60fps...)

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Major speed improvements!

Now I can have 40 models on screen (the double as before) at 55-60 fps!
Same link as before to download :)

With reaaally low poly models (I tested one with ~100 tris) I can get more than 200 models on screen without ANY slowdown! Woot!!!

Behold the low poly army!!!

PS:I edited the first post since ImageShack was blocking the image :P

Last edited 2011

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#4]
hilarious!

with the above link:
40fps, on windows 7, intel Q8200 @ 2.33ghz, with IntelG41 video.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#5]
Another improvement, but this one still needs investigation:

I recompiled bmk with -ffast-math, don't know exactly what can go wrong with it... but first test seems just too good to be true: 60 models at 60 fps!

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#6]
Where did you get the source to bmk?

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#7]
With every bmax release? In the /src/ folder?

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#8]
O_O

I just made a similar "copyentity" to my prototype code, so I'm not loading the same model over and over again - and it also gave me another speed boost: now I have 140 models on screen rendering at 60 fps!

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#9]
I didn't notice that 'src' folder, thanks.

Any plans to implement MD5?

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#10]
Any plans to implement MD5?

Not for now. I first want to try MD2, then terrains which is the 2 big things missing on miniB3D.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2011) [#11]
Cool, always had a real softspot for MD2s lean resource requirements, thank you!

Corum(Posted 2011) [#12]
Not for now. I first want to try MD2, then terrains which is the 2 big things missing on miniB3D.

gogogo for terrains!
SLotman, you're doing a lot of valuable stuff for 3D on max: respect! :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#13]
Ive been looking for a way of getting 50 plus animated meshes on screen at once in my syndicate style game for quite a while, this could just be the answer.