iminib3d tip - turn on VBOs!

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/iminib3d tip - turn on VBOs!

simonh(Posted 2010) [#1]
In iminib3d VBOs are turned off by default as I'd read somewhere they had no effect on the iPhone (and found the same thing myself on the 3G), so I just disabled them and forgot about them.

However, during some random experimenting with gerball I turned them on and found that on the 3GS, I went from 30-40 FPS to a solid 60! Wish I'd realised that before...

It seems that they don't have an effect on the 3G, but do on the 3GS and 4.

To enable them in iminib3d, set vbo_enabled to true at the top of global.mm

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#2]
Well hey thanks for pointing this out. I'll make a note to adjust this later, but I'll probably wait until final testing so that I get a nice speed boost later.

ima747(Posted 2010) [#3]
Hot stuff! Will toggle on asap. Suspect it's the OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant hardware in the 3GS and later kicking in?

simonh(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yes I would imagine so. Think the ES 1.1 support is built on top of 2.0.

ima747(Posted 2010) [#5]
The fact that 1.1 being built on top of 2.0 makes sense to me is frightening... Too much OpenGL based coding is making my brain do flips.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2012) [#6]
Where do you turn on VBOs?

ima747(Posted 2012) [#7]
"To enable them in iminib3d, set vbo_enabled to true at the top of global.mm"

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2012) [#8]
Awesome, thanks, and would help if I'd read all of the original post ;-)

Last edited 2012

simonh(Posted 2012) [#9]
The latest gerball update (released around Christmas) on iOS finally takes advantage of this, for 60FPS gameplay. Really should have tried to release the update quicker than 14 months after this post!

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2012) [#10]
Bought Gerball yesterday, always been a fan since it's earliest development on the PC.

What did you use in addition to iMiniB3D, I am guessing your own code for audio, music and text?

simonh(Posted 2012) [#11]
Thanks for buying Rob!

There is audio support in iminib3d - see audio.mm. The game's text is just sprites with a texture atlas.

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2012) [#12]
Doh, missed that. Excellent.

The control is cool, I guess when you touch the screen, it is centred, and then as you drag your finger away, it increase the tilt based on the direction and distance from the first touch.

Would be interested in seeing the code for that ;-) ?