Which is Faster MiniB3D or Leadwerks?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Which is Faster MiniB3D or Leadwerks?

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just curious what you think,

I know Leadwerks is capable of more but which one do you think is faster?

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#2]
It all depends. For Intel and lower end cards - miniB3D should be way faster, and Leadwerks won't probably work on them, or only on software rasterizer.

Here on my laptop (which has a Radeon X1300) I can't run any of Leadwerks demos, but miniB3D runs like a charm.

Now, for high end graphics cards, then Leadwerks should (and I believe it does) win. But to actually know, just writing the same demo on both engines, and measuring it on the same (or even better, several) machine(s).

Even then, you can have some areas where one can be better than another.

From experience, the better thing I can say is this: see what's better for your game (and this include target audience). Try both engines - even others - and which gets you the better looks, better compatibility, is "easier" to program and import assets should the one to choose - not just by rendering speed.

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#3]
I like the how you took certain aspects into consideration,

It's cool to think that even though a graphic engine may be "better" it may not necessarily be better for what you're doing

degac(Posted 2010) [#4]
Well, to be honest, you can't compare LWE with MiniB3d: they only thing they have in common is that they're using OpenGL. LWE is based - heavily - on shaders, while Minib3d is still using the 'old school/fixed graphics' way.
LWE has support for materials, shadows, physic and other nancy things while MiniB3d is only a 3d engine.
LWE requires modern hardware (everything that can run a PS3.0 at least), while MiniB3d everything can run OpenGL (as it is very 'simple' compared to LWE)
They serve two different kinds of projects, both are 'perfect' in their own rule.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#5]
Rendering a scene of the same complexity with the same effects, there is likely to be little in it. For older hardware, miniB3D is the way forward. To play with the big boys, you need LWE. It's apples and oranges. You need to consider your target audience. The one toughy is that the people with the old hardware that will benefit from running with miniB3D will often refuse point blank to update the openGL driver to play a game.... or so I hear.