MiniB3D doesn't like .3ds files?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/MiniB3D doesn't like .3ds files?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello,

I am currently trying to load a 3ds mesh by replacing the "teapot" model with my own .3ds model. Instead of seeing my model I just see a large gray block which I can only assume is a place holder for missing information. The code I am testing the replacement in is the code that shows the environmental mapping of a teapot with a camel and also a space ship.

I guess I need to ask, what model types does the library currently support? How do I convert models to the native format for free?

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#2]
It only supports .b3d files so you'll need to use Milkshape or Ultimate unwrap to change your file types.

Cheers
Charlie

kfprimm(Posted 2010) [#3]
http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1423

Look at the MR_3DS.bmx file. That'll do it for you.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#4]
That's a pretty neat code archives entry I'll want to take a look at, thanks for the link! Can't imagine why I'd want to use that when we already have iminib3d, but it'll still be interesting to look over.

kfprimm(Posted 2010) [#5]
No, of course you wouldn't want to use it. It's quite old and underdeveloped, but from my experience, the 3DS loading code it contains seems to be pretty solid.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thank you very much, this might open quite a few doors now!

ima747(Posted 2010) [#7]
just a thought, but since Blitz3D (to the best of my knowledge) is supposed to support 3DS files, and minib3d is trying to mirror it, could that 3ds loading code be worked into the main thread for better feature parity?

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#8]
IMHO, it would be much better to support things like .fbx, even if just on a basic level... for sure when I get the time I'll try to do it myself, but I doubt I'll have enough free time this year...